The West Country 1685

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
Captain of Dragoons
Major General
Major General

The West Country 1685

Post by Captain of Dragoons » Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:02 pm

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year all :!:

This morning I was just clicking around on the internet between the the league sites and other images and ended up seeing a nice little map on Sedgemoor.

http://fraxinus-victoryv.blogspot.ca/20 ... -1685.html

I recall Barry had done a demo game based on Sedgemoor and had pictures on the old LoA site. I remember a few years ago reading 'Sedgemoor 1685 : Marlborough's First Victory', by John Tincey. Although John Churchill (not yet the Earl or Duke) was second in command he is credited with actually winning the battle.

The light ball went off :idea:

What a great little campaign Sedgemoor could be for those beginning the period or with smaller armies, etc.

- Smaller armies to refight the battle
- On the Government side all the famous old names: Dumbarton's, The Blues, Foot Guards, etc.
- On the rebel side ad hoc looking regiments in terms of dress, weapons and flags (Clarence would have a field day for the flags).
- Smaller table
- In terms of rules BLB, Donnybrook and even the new concept rules for bigger battalions with character rules that Barry and co are working on. BLB could be used for the main battle (when using the standard size units), Donnybrook for the skirmish/action at Bridgewater between the dismounted Horse Grenadiers
and rearguard rebels. The new rules are interesting I think because of the Colonels character cards and with the smaller amount of units bigger war game units could be use.

Will yee be for the King or the Protestant Succession :!:

cheers
Edward
Captain of Dragoons
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Re: The West Country 1685

Post by obriendavid » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:35 pm

The new rules would work just fine for Sedgemoor, probably even better than BLB2 and Donnybrook would be perfect for the even smaller actions.
Cheers
Dave
Captain of Dragoons
Major General
Major General

Post by Captain of Dragoons » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:27 am

Correction to above ref action at Bridgewater.

It was a Philips Norton that a good size skirmish took place between Rebels in the town and recce force made up of two troops Horse Guard Grenadiers, the grenadier company of the 1st Foot Guards and some Militia Horse and infantry.

The Horse Guard Grenadiers became to closely engage with the rebels and were cut off and the grenadiers of the Foot Guards had to fall back under pressure.

Churchill had to come up with Troops of the Royal Dragoons to extract the Horse Guard Grenadiers and cover the withdraw.

Monmouth's so called West Country Mob performed rather well against the King's best troops.

It would make an excellent scenario for a large skirmish game using Donnybrook I think.

cheers

Edward
Captain of Dragoons
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:25 am

Watch the blog over the next couple of weeks. I have some lovely re enactor pix from Philips Norton/Norton St Philips... taken outside the Inn!

More Sedgemoor stuff from LoA in the New Year
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Russian James
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Russian James » Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:11 pm

Looking forward to seeing more of these photos Barry, very inspiring...