Oxford's Blews - running head on into the wall!

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Oxford's Blews - running head on into the wall!

Post by barr7430 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:02 am

I am currently trying to investigate the service history of this extremely famous regiment and running into a brick wall. The period in question is 1691 (post Aughrim) till 1714. I have found (and lost) one reference to them at Neerwinden but nothing else. I have found a Marburg reference to them being in the battle line at Walcourt. Nothing for Steinkirke, Namur, Blenheim, Ramillies, Oudenaarde, Malplaquet. Nothing for Spain. I cannot even find a reference to Home service.

Anyone out there still got the Blues??? :roll:
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Captain of Dragoons
Major General
Major General

Re: Oxford's Blews - running head on into the wall!

Post by Captain of Dragoons » Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:44 am

Tracking down the titles (ie Colonels)

1688 - 1703 Aubrey, Earl of Oxford —de Vere's or Earl of Oxford's Regiment
1703 - 1712 George, Duke of Northumberland — FitzRoy's or Duke of Northumberland's Regiment
1712 - 1712 Richard, Earl Rivers —Savage's or Earl Rivers' Regiment
1712 - 1715 Charles, Earl of Peterborough —Mordaunt's or Earl of Peterborough's Regiment
1715 - 1717 John, Duke of Argyll —Campbell's or Duke of Argyll's Regiment

Interestingly there are no battle honours for Marlborough's big four. Traditionally the role of the Horse (Life) Guards and Blues was to protect the sovereign. Queen Anne being in London did they just remain in England.

Although there are references of both Household Regiments being at Walcourt was it just that William III trusted his Dutch Life and Horse Guards more to protect him in England and Ireland after the Glorious Revolution?

cheers
Edward
Captain of Dragoons
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:08 am

Thanks Edward, I have the trusty 'Succession of Colonels' book by Leslie and so knew about who was in charge. I am coming to the same conclusion as you regarding their service during the Queen Anne period as I believe the Life Guards were on home service. William of Orange however did not really trust his English troops so it may be that the Life Guard cavalry, Blues and at least the Coldstream Guards were all shipped off to Flanders early... being that Walcourt was in 1689. I see an entry on a Marburg orbat showing what looks like Oxford's in the front line on the left.The Life Guards appear on the far right of the front line on the same document. I could swear I found a reference to Oxford's at Neerwinden but they don't appear on the Marburg orbat for Steinkirke a year earlier. I have been cross referencing so many sources now that I have completely lost track.

Maybe someone else will chip in.

Henry Ford
j1mwallace
Major General
Major General

Post by j1mwallace » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:52 am

Barry
I remember several years ago Derek Nish researching the same subject. He came to the same conclusion. viz that they were effectively on home service and not present on big M's European tour.
Have a happy and healthy new year
Jim
arthur1905
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by arthur1905 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:19 am

Barry,

have you tried, The Horse Guards by Barney White-Spunner,the Oxford Blews returned from Ireland in 1692 to replace the Life Guards and were headquartered in Westminster to suppress any unrest in London.

IN 1697 they were meant to be posted to Birmingham, but this was changed to Oxford, between then and 1700 they had billets in Worcestershire, Shropshire and the West country.

As a interesting footnote, 3 members of the Blews were Implicated in a plot to kill the King, while returning from a hunt in Richmond park, they were arrested and send to Newgate on the 10th March 1696
wdrenth
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by wdrenth » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:56 am

The Calendar of Treasury Books is a valuable source for getting an understanding of the movement of regiments during the WSS, as it is neatly divided into the various regions and establishments, and how, and from which vote, they were paid.

The Royal Horse Guards and the troops of horse guards are listed under the home establishment for the duration of the conflict. So no glory for them. They were probably too expensive to be wasted on the battlefields of Flanders and Spain anyway.

Hope this answers the questions. See also some of my publications 8)

all best,
Wienand
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:22 pm

Thanks All and also to Mark Shearwood the Happy Lurker who emailed me the same info!

Weinand.. where can I see your famous publications??? 8)

Henry Ford
CMC2014

Post by CMC2014 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:09 am

Glorfindel
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Glorfindel » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:18 am

Weinand's books are available from :

http://www.drenthpublishing.nl/index.html

Cheers,

Phil