Blucher.. The Sam Mustafa one.

All matters to do with gaming, painting and uniform information
j1mwallace
Major General
Major General

Blucher.. The Sam Mustafa one.

Post by j1mwallace » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:36 am

I like Longstreet for the civil war, especially the campaign system. Its revitalised ACW gaming at our club.
One of the chaps went out and bought Blucher and the card set. We've played 3 or 4 games and really enjoyed them. The card set is well done also and gives you all the units in all armies for the 100 days campaign.
The rules take a wee bit of getting used to, as do all new rules , but once you get the basics down ...
The unit scale seems to be about brigade or bigger scale. For a club night they gave us a couple of really enjoyable games. Quatre Bras in 3 and a half hours? Even some of D'Erlons troops arrived.
Obviously other sets , especially the redoubtable RTE are still played often but for 50 odd quid you get the rules and all of the armies.£28 for the rules and £24 for the unit cards .
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Re: Blucher.. The Sam Mustafa one.

Post by obriendavid » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:48 am

It all depends what you want from your rules and what is possible in a club night, personally I would rather take my time over a special battle than try and cover everything that happened in three and a half hours.
I used to enjoy his Grand Armee rules for quick one of games at the club how do Blucher compare to them?
I tried a number of games with his Maurice rules and didn't like them at all, it just felt that the cards dominated the game and the figures were just an extra addition.
Cheers
Dave
j1mwallace
Major General
Major General

Post by j1mwallace » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:22 pm

I'd agree on Maurice. Very slow and ponderous. Too card heavy. Longstreet we've really enjoyed. Cards don't dominate the game. Blucher is not card driven at all! No card usage . Movement is by command points a la RTE to a degree. As I've said a pick up game can be organised in a few minutes. Quatre bras with proper OB's in s club night?
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:41 am

What are the unit cards for Jim? I have obviously incorrectly thought they were the same order cards as Maurice. Did you ever try the Grand Armee rules?
Cheers
Dave
Scruff
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by Scruff » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:18 am

All you need to play is the rules and some figures. The unit cards can be substituted for figures if you don't have any and are not required for play.

cheers
flick40
Major General
Major General

Post by flick40 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:41 pm

Not a fan of Maurice but some interesting ideas. I have Blucher, read but not played yet. I have some 6mm figs to make a few units, which I think are the best scale to use for these rules. They are corps and army sized rules so having 28's would work against believing the scale. I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around 3000 men to a base as it is, especially after playing battalion sized games for so long.

Joe
j1mwallace
Major General
Major General

Post by j1mwallace » Fri May 01, 2015 11:35 am

We've played 3 games now. Its worth going on the website, The Quatre Bras scenario is very good and a tough fight!. The rules are fairly abstract but seem to give the feel of a big battle.
Don't tell Barry but I still prefer RTE !