William Waller's Army

For topics related to wargaming in the period 1600-1660
quindia
General
General

William Waller's Army

Post by quindia » Tue May 19, 2015 9:57 am

Been a while since these models have seen the light of day...

Lots more on my blog!
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Re: William Waller's Army

Post by obriendavid » Tue May 19, 2015 10:31 am

Lovely stuff Clarence.
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Tue May 19, 2015 10:38 am

Very nice Clarence!

Do me a favour:
Would you please be so kind to explain to me why most english talking people have only interest in English Civil War and completely neglect the TYW? All of Europe was at War and all concentrating on Warfare on a small island in the North Sea...

Cheers,

Günter
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Tue May 19, 2015 12:45 pm

For me, it was several things...

1. I found twelve boxes of Renegade ECW regiments in the bargain bin at one of my FLGS's (they were sadly phasing out all historical models in the shop)... I got the entire lot for the price of three full price boxes. Yes, they would work (and still will with some flag swaps) for the TYW, but read on...
2. The size of battles in the ECW fit the size of game I wanted to play... Concentrating on small battles is something I do in all of the periods I collect. I enjoy painting 28mm models and wargaming Aughrim or Waterloo would be awesome, but it's not practical for me.
3. For whatever reason, I knew more about the ECW than the TYW... For that matter, I still do. The political situation seemed to be a simple one (I'm sure I am OVERSIMPLIFYING it, but there you go). I guess as an American I can also appreciate what a civil war means.
4. What I really wanted to do was build a Scots Coventer army, but ironically I never got around to it! Something odd about wanting to paint several hundred grey uniforms and blue bonnets in a period with such colorful coats in the other armies!
5. I loved Robert Giglio's ECW scenarios series... I had volume one even before I really got into historical wargaming - I used the scenarios as a basis for fantasy battles! I still love these and have all four volumes.
6. There was simply more information available to me on the ECW... maybe something to do with English speaking!
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Tue May 19, 2015 2:59 pm

Lenghty but well understood :D
Thank You!

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
Greystreak
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Greystreak » Tue May 19, 2015 4:00 pm

Terrific units, Clarence! :D :mrgreen:
Bryce
daniel1492
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by daniel1492 » Wed May 20, 2015 11:20 pm

Very impressive, Clarence! I too am working on my ECW based on VWQ. Hope to get enough done by the end of summer to host a game. Here's a little sneak peek...

"As fate is inexorable, and not to be moved either with tears or reproaches, an excess of sorrow is as foolish as profuse laughter; while, on the other hand, not to mourn at all is insensibility."
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Wed May 20, 2015 11:54 pm

Nice!
chema1986
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by chema1986 » Tue May 26, 2015 7:13 am

These are gorgeous !!
Russian James
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Russian James » Tue May 26, 2015 7:33 pm

Daniel, whose figures are these? Empress Miniatures?
Prince Henry
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army

Post by Prince Henry » Wed May 27, 2015 2:44 am

Very well done! I too have an ECW army using Foundry which I have ironically recently been repairing after a closet shelf disaster...

Gunter - as an English speaker, yes I do ECW (in 25mm) and have a start of one in 15mm but my beginning was in the TYW, first in 15mm using originals Mikes Models (i.e. 25 years ago or so...) (Swedish TYW) and then followed by 28mm Spanish - early Tercio period. It is difficult to get English reference works for uniforms and unite histories - though the situation is getting a little better. I grew up mostly outside the U.S. in non-English speaking countries - so I may not be a good example.

doug
Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.

Theodore Roosevelt
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Wed May 27, 2015 4:10 am

Daniel,

Those Miniatures are superbly painted! It is allmost that you can see Sir Alec sitting there on his Horse! Well done!

Doug - Thank You for this insights in an "english" mind! :wink: :D

Cheers,

Günter

Bitbag
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Bitbag » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:11 pm

Hi Gunter

Good question re: 30 Years War vs ECW. My reasons why I prefer ECW are varied, but come largely down to what I can relate to. I like the IDEA of gaming the TYW, but I find it hard to relate to, to get a feel for. Whilst it's getting easier to find excellent resources to help build up armies and forces, it's still not as easy as possibly it is for ECW. There are countless books in English, regarding the Civil Wars, detailing the nitty-gritty of uniforms, campaigns, colours carried etc, that probably swing many people towards the ECW and away from the TYW, and as these are in English, this is probably why, as you observe, that in the UK and USA, the period is more popular than the TYW.

For me though, as a UK resident, the main reason is proximity. The UK is small, and the Civil wars affected everywhere. Within 5 mins drive, I have a town where a cavalry engagement between 2500 horse took place in1645. Within 30 mins drive, I have a castle where a vicious siege took place, two country houses where more sieges took place, and the town of Newark, where 3 sieges occurred, and Leicester which was stormed in 1645. 50 mins drive sees Naseby. 90 mins drive sees Cropredy Bridge. 2 hours sees Edgehill. Marston Moor, Worcester, and Chester are all within 2 and a half hours. I've visited Auldearn, Torrington, and Landsdowne Battlefields, as well as countless numbers of stately homes and castles connected with the ECW. As a re-enactor, I've fought on some of the original battlefields- even been amongst the first to fire muskets over the Sulby Hedges at Naseby, since Okey's Dragoons did in 1645! ( incredible experience that was).

So to answer your honest and sincere question with an honest and sincere answer, it's because it's close to me, I can relate to it, and I can find information about it easily! That's why I love the period! Hope this helps :)

Andy