Siberian wooden fort-the gate

OK, so after two years I've finally given in to having a section of the FORUM specifically set up to discuss painting techniques, display examples, show your latest projects and chat about this vital part of the hobby. Manufacturers please feel free to post up your sculpts, ask questions about what the gamers are after and generally promote your work.. no charge! Painters, please also feel free to post up your work for comment and critique. I can't promise the unreserved adulation characteristic of some other fora but I would hope you'd get constructive and measured comment!
nevermore
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by nevermore » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:34 pm

Nightmare to create, but it should be worth it in the end, 28mm size, i just grabbed any 28mm figure so you can compare the size of the entrance.

The tower on both has a artillery vision to fire from, the bridge still has alot of work to work on.

imgur

The plank design i think will look good once paint, pretty wide to fit alot of musket men in

photo hosting

Inside one of the towers, a 28mm size gun, i came across a Siberian/Russian fort that had artillery guns inside them, so i had to do it, still have to make the sliding shutters and ladders from below

gif image hosting

The nightmare is getting the overlap of corner logs, trying to keep the towers straight and the same height is pretty hard because just about every log is a different size.

image sharing

Still loads of work to do on this and i have spent hours to build it this far, i think once done my 6ft wide fort is going to be good for a battle on the tabletop.
nevermore
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Re: Siberian wooden fort-the gate

Post by nevermore » Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:20 am

Update of the process so far

screenshot on pc

image hosting
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:26 pm

Fantastic work as always Malc !
Cheers
Dave
nevermore
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by nevermore » Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:07 pm

Update today, still alot of work on this sucker, i put two 28mm at the entrance to show you just how big this monster is.

image hosting 15mb

Thanks Dave :D
j1mwallace
Major General
Major General

Post by j1mwallace » Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:44 pm

Have you scratch built an extension to your house to keep all your gear in ?
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:18 pm

It is really nice to see how much effort you put into building this fort :D

On the other hand you save a lot of money by scratch building this yourself!
A company like Grand Manner would bleed you white with such a model on sale :wink:

Great Job!
Btw., You know that there are only 3 days until Christmas? :lol: :lol:
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
nevermore
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by nevermore » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:32 am

Thanks guys, i think you are right about Grand Manner, i worked out that the overall cost of building the 6ft fort across the table comes to less than £20 - pretty good value for money
nevermore
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by nevermore » Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:11 pm

Update today, still alot of work, began painting the top part of the towers, still needs more weathering, doing this while the doors dry out

photo upload sites
nevermore
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by nevermore » Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:09 pm

Update 23rd december, still need highlighting on the red parts and weathering, but looking good so far, adding ghost grey colour as my dry brush to give that frost cold look as i was to add icicles and a bit of snow in parts.

image hosting over 2mb

Side door, i added a small piece of wall to connect up with what i have made so far, but i think i now might add huts on top of my walls now because i think it really looks different from anything else made - lots of American wooden forts out on the gaming world but it really needs to look Siberian/Russian and i think the more work on it the better the look.

free photo hosting
nevermore
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by nevermore » Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:18 am

Update 1st jan

I added abit more colour of red to the tower gate and iccles hanging from the lookout post

upload an image

The entrance i decked with yet more planking to give it that Siberian look about it and thought lets get those icicles hanging also, plus some slush snow was put around to give that cold effect.

print screen windows

Weathering was added to the effect also, ran out of slush snow so i am waiting in the post for more, i think it kind of breaks the colours up and adds that little bit more interest to the building.

gifs upload

gate hinges arrived but only one pair, still waiting for the other pair to come through my door, they fit perfect

post image online

Anyway was abit fed up waiting so i thought i would need a damage wall effect to replace part of the wall section when bombarded, in fact i decide to build two of these, just in case some one gets lucky on the dice rolls.

temp image upload

windows screenshot

screen grab

photo storage

Then over the few days i thought i wanted my walls to have that feel about Siberian/Russian look about it,thought i done so much work on the gate towers i did'nt want the walls to let the place down.

The wall section (will be making two of these) has a corridor to walk into the next section of wall, you can shoot from both sides and is well protected, i guess it could be just a building on its own.

free photo hosting

As you can see from the side it overlaps the wall, trap doors would be open and thrown rocks and other nasty bits would drop if attacked from below.The door entrance walks onto the next wall section.

how to do a screen shot

Inside plenty of room for those 28mm miniatures, its solid and can easy fit your hand in to push around miniatures.

Still lots more to do, seige equipment ect... i guess our Vikings can raid the eastern Europe

free picture upload

image hosting 15mb
nevermore
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by nevermore » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:06 am

Update 6th Jan

painted up the wall and roof, i weathered it and gave it some bright colours to bring out details more, 28mm Russian figure to show the size at the rear of the wall

images hosting

the front of the wall

image share

remove the roof to show the inside

upload images free

Still have to weather the inside and add iccicles and snow, now to move onto the 2nd wall, once i have finished that i have only one to do