Yebel yell !

covering mainly Crimean & American Civil War
nevermore
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Yebel yell !

Post by nevermore » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:37 am

Yebel yell !

ACW 15mm game on a 12ft by 5ft table, more photos of the game at http://www.victorian-steel.com/ in the gallery.Enjoy

image upload no size limit

capture

upload img

print screen

image hosting 30 mb

free image hosting
j1mwallace
Major General
Major General

Re: Yebel yell !

Post by j1mwallace » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:59 am

looking good as usual. Which rules ?
nevermore
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by nevermore » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:17 am

For this game Black Powder Jim.
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:50 pm

nevermore wrote:For this game Black Powder Jim.
Do you make any mods to the rules to make them period specific or just play them as standard?
Cheers
Dave
nevermore
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by nevermore » Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:44 pm

I will be honest with you Dave, i am not a big fan of Black Powder, a few amendments were in need for this period, like in most periods if you are using B.P. i think you have to adjust the rules to suit it.

We are going to write our own ACW rules soon and put them on a PDF free of charge, because all these tables of artillery guns and different weapons for the common soldier during the ACW - did they really use them alot.I think on the % scale it was rare from what i have researched.

ACW should be simple to game on the tabletop and to much detail for me ruins it, alot of the battles found it hard to get use from artillery with all the wooden areas and folds in the ground, but then again some battlefields (Gettysburg) artillery were of great use.

Not a expert on the ACW just my opinion
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:59 pm

nevermore wrote:... We are going to write our own ACW rules soon and put them on a PDF free of charge, because all these tables of artillery guns and different weapons for the common soldier during the ACW - did they really use them alot.I think on the % scale it was rare from what i have researched.

ACW should be simple to game on the tabletop and to much detail for me ruins it, alot of the battles found it hard to get use from artillery with all the wooden areas and folds in the ground, but then again some battlefields (Gettysburg) artillery were of great use.

Not a expert on the ACW just my opinion
In some way you are right with your sentence as there are only a few different "types" of fire arms in the ACW thats worth to point out:
.)Smoothbore Muskets used mostly in the West by CSA, but also by the Irish Brigade until and at Gettysburg
.) Rifled Muskets most notably Enfield/Springfield by USA and CSA
.) Breechloading Rifles mostly USA and approx. 10% of CSA
.) Repeating Rifles, a few units like Wilders Mounted Brigade USA, Custers Michigan Brigade(Spencers) while Revolving Carbines by some CSA Cavalry

In terms of Cannons it is really hard to cut down the types in use to only a few models, i.e., 10pdr Parrots, 12pdr Napoleons, 3" Rifle, 12pdr Howitzer.
The Union Army in the East used 5 to 6 types alone while in the West twice the number. The Confederates had almost 20 types in their Artillery Arm!
Of course you can through one or another of those rifled guns in one bin but IMHO I would not dare to compare a Parrot with a Naval Rifle.
Here is a list of CSA Types in use:
(retrieved from "The long Arm of Lee")
12pdr SB "Napoleon"
6 pdr SB 1841
12pdr SB 1841
12pdr How
24pdr How
10pdr Parrot
20pdr Parrot
3" Naval Rifle
12pdr Withworth and Hotchkiss

My 10ct

Cheers,
Günter
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
j1mwallace
Major General
Major General

Post by j1mwallace » Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:47 pm

I like the way that firing is handled in fire and fury and also in Longstreet. There is to be a civil war variant on Black powder later this year. In my experience you only need light and heavy rifles. Smooth bores and howitzers although the latter were only used on specific occasions. For example although 6 pounders were used in the first year of the war , Lee had them removed from front line service and sent back for reboring to 12 Lbrs. A Wiard did pretty much the same job as a 3" rifle etc. Only the whitworth varied much.
As regards firearms , some preferred smooth bores. Others rifles but since firefight ranges were not vastly more than napoleonic times , unless you had a repeater firepower was pretty much the same.
My problem with most civil wars rules is that manoeuvres are not rigid enough.
Fascinating period.
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:07 am

j1mwallace wrote:... Fascinating period.
Very true Jim.
One more reason for me working on my 1st Rebel Division :wink:

Cheers,
Günter
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
nevermore
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by nevermore » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:44 am

Interesting read and totally agree with all the points brought forward.