Reviewing the Swedes.

Conflict between the Swedes and their various neighbours between 1670s and 1721. Including topics on Danes, Saxons, Saxon-Polish, Russians and anyone else the boys in blue were mixing it with!
RogerC
Colonel
Colonel

Reviewing the Swedes.

Post by RogerC » Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:59 pm

Hi, cant paint at the moment so took the opportunity of a bit of rare winter sun to photograph my Great Northern War project so far, Swedes posted, Saxons and Poles to follow.
http://gapagnw.blogspot.co.uk/
arthur1905
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Reviewing the Swedes.

Post by arthur1905 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:15 pm

Roger,

Great looking force you have built up, very impressive

Mark
toggy
Major General
Major General

Post by toggy » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:24 am

They're looking great Roger.
Last edited by toggy on Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We are not retreating - we are advancing in another direction. Macarthur, Douglas
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:46 am

Fantastic and consistent work there Roger.. congratulations on some lovely units.
As a long time player/ fan of the Swedes I humbly recommend you think about bringing your cavalry up to either a squadron per battalion ratio or even matching infantryman to cavalryman one to one. I know that is a big job but to get them feeling right on the table there needs to be a lot of mounted troops!

With that number of Swedes your opponents are going to be very busy painting BIG armies to match them!

I am sure you have it in hand as you seem to be a very output focused chap
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
RogerC
Colonel
Colonel

Post by RogerC » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:50 pm

Cheers Barry.

My plan for Swedes is that each Cavalry unit is roughly a double squadron and is the same physical size on the table as a battalion which feels about right but hard to talk people through as a squadron or regiment is more the norm. I planned initially to have 10 units of double squadrons and 12 battalions of foot which seemed a good balance for the Swedes. I will probably end up with more as I already have enough lead for 13 battalions. I have purposely hung back with Cavalry as my preferred figures will be your new Swedish horse when they come out. I have some of the original figure and some command and bareheaded troopers from the broader range to mix in when your Swedish troopers are ready. 6 Troopers painted and varnished waiting for their comrades to arrive and some others on the painting table.

Output is slow due to stomach injury but hoping that it is back on track for when you release your Swedish Cavalry.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:40 pm

Speedy recovery to you Roger.

After some production challenges with the Swedish cavalry we are getting back on track. I have some painted samples to put up in the blog when I get back from my current location which is curiously, Sweden!

Henry Ford
Dfogleman2
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Dfogleman2 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:53 pm

Great news about the cavalry.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:26 pm

Yep, it was a bit of a pain Dannie but were getting back in the groove as you'll see soon.

Henry Ford
RogerC
Colonel
Colonel

Post by RogerC » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:48 pm

Exciting stuff Barry, looking forward to that. Initial goal is to get a regiment of 18 from you to add to those I already have and will give me 6 units of horse.
Gunfreak
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Gunfreak » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:26 pm

Wonderful army, I've had to stay away as I was doing ancients. And it's impossible for me to do another period while looking at all the wonderful GNW figures. But I only got an elephant and 6 Iberian cav, left before work on my first warfare russian unit starts. Your stuff is always an inspiration.