My project...Sculpting Spanish for Late 17C. Comparison pic

OK, so after two years I've finally given in to having a section of the FORUM specifically set up to discuss painting techniques, display examples, show your latest projects and chat about this vital part of the hobby. Manufacturers please feel free to post up your sculpts, ask questions about what the gamers are after and generally promote your work.. no charge! Painters, please also feel free to post up your work for comment and critique. I can't promise the unreserved adulation characteristic of some other fora but I would hope you'd get constructive and measured comment!
chema1986
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

My project...Sculpting Spanish for Late 17C. Comparison pic

Post by chema1986 » Tue May 30, 2017 2:27 pm

Hi all, As you may know, there are some differences between the Spanish uniform of 1670 onwards (and earlier too!) and other European armies, sadly nobody produces them in 28mm today, Northstar 1672 ( Phoenix Miniatures ) discontinued them not so long ago.

With that in mind I want to enlarge my collection for the League of Augsburg war, with more kind of miniatures in order to represent uniforms for the War of the Devolution and above all, the Franco Dutch War.
The Spanish uniform from late 1660 to 1680-90 would be this:

I already have unarmoured pikemen, and musketeers, as well as some officers, musicians and flag bearers but I wanted to have more dragoons and armoured pikemen as well as some new poses so I started this miniproject, the first of the new miniatures fully compatible with Northstar 1672 and Front Rank, An armoured pikeman of the later Spanish Tercios (the pike itself is horrible, I know, I will use Northstar's)

I want to expand the range with foot dragoons and maybe a pair of officers. I am no manufacturer nor a company but If anyone is interested in this miniproject of course can contact me.

Cheers

Chema
Last edited by chema1986 on Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:30 am, edited 3 times in total.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: My personal project... Sculpting Spanish for Late 17 cen

Post by barr7430 » Wed May 31, 2017 11:10 pm

chema1986, you are sculpting these yourself?
How many sculpts do you have finished?

thanks

B
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
chema1986
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by chema1986 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:08 am

Hi Barry, unfortunatelly I have 0 skills at sculpting, the sculptor is a freelance Spanish sculptor I contacted recently. He did this pikeman just in 2 days! This weekend he will sculpt a dismounted dragoon. I only have that green, but I will be able to get several copies of it with moulds very soon :)
My plan is having 3-5 sculpts of easy conversion in short-term.
Cheers

Chema
arthur1905
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by arthur1905 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:33 pm

Chema,

he is superb, I wish you every luck with your project, I am sure there will be members who will want to share in your project

Mark
Ronan the Librarian
Captain
Captain

Post by Ronan the Librarian » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:24 pm

Chema - On a slight tangent, I don't suppose you have any details for the Duke of Osuna's cavalry regiment, which served briefly with the British garrison at Tangiers in 1680? I think they wore white/off-white/grey coats, but have nothing more.

Thank you.
Ssshhhhh!!!!!
chema1986
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by chema1986 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:30 pm

Thanks mate, now is being sculpted a dismounted dragoon, like this one ( but without the sash and with another crossed belt:

And next... "Caballos corazas" or cuirassiers from 1665-85 and mounted dragoons ( the illustration on the far right and second from the right)

Ronan the Librarian wrote:Chema - On a slight tangent, I don't suppose you have any details for the Duke of Osuna's cavalry regiment, which served briefly with the British garrison at Tangiers in 1680? I think they wore white/off-white/grey coats, but have nothing more.

Thank you.
Of course my friend, this regiment was formed in 1661 by the Duke of Osuna, paid and dressed by him, was part of the Trozos de caballería ( cavalry regiments) from the peninsular army and later part of the army of Catalonia front. It fought there in the Franco Dutch and Nine years war... until it was disbanded and merged into other units in 1695, after the unsuccessful allied siege of Palamos in the coast.
You are right about the color of the uniform.
Image.

The flag is unknown... but cavalry used mostly red flags with the burgundy cross of Spain and some decoration and variations.
chema1986
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: My project...Sculpting Spanish for Late 17 C. Dragoon a

Post by chema1986 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:39 am

The second sculpt added, a dismounted dragoon, Hope you like it!

barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:37 pm

fine looking sculpts !
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
chema1986
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by chema1986 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:07 am

Hello again, I have a new sculpt, this time, a Spanish officer,  with cuirass under the long coat. The illustration used is this one, from the 1670' Showing the Castilian companies which defended Ceuta from the Moors.

And the sculpt itself, is modified from the illustration, I wanted him with an open hand in order to carry a partizan, halberd or Flag. The sword was reworked because at first it had a ridiculous size.

before redoing the sword
after the sword modification

Cheers!!
Gunfreak
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Re: My project...Sculpting Spanish for Late 17 C. Officer a

Post by Gunfreak » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:47 am

Thats some really fine work!

I have trouble even trying to make stuff like sandbags in miliput/green stuff.
I have no idea how someone can actually make humans and horses out of clay and other stuff!

All honour to you sir!
Ronan the Librarian
Captain
Captain

Post by Ronan the Librarian » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:01 am

chema - Thank you very much for your reply to my question about the Spanish horse regiment at Tangiers. Very useful.

Also, I couldn't help noticing the "Dragon de Sheldon" image. Was this regiment "imported" from Ireland originally? I ask because there was a "Sheldon's Horse" in the French army from the 1690s which was originally raised for James II by a Dominique Sheldon, and I wondered if the two units were related in any way. Interestingly, a Dominic Sheldon was one of two English officers - the other was also called Sheldon and was either a nephew or an uncle (sources are unclear as to which of them was which) - serving in Lauzun's Legion in America during their War of Independence. The 1690s Sheldons were Irish, but the 1770s Sheldons were English (and came from Winchester, near where I live); with a name like Dominic - extremely rare in 18th Century England - I would assume they were Catholics, which might explain their enmity towards George III and their service in the army of France.
Ssshhhhh!!!!!
chema1986
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by chema1986 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:37 pm

Ronan the Librarian wrote:chema - Thank you very much for your reply to my question about the Spanish horse regiment at Tangiers. Very useful.

Also, I couldn't help noticing the "Dragon de Sheldon" image. Was this regiment "imported" from Ireland originally? I ask because there was a "Sheldon's Horse" in the French army from the 1690s which was originally raised for James II by a Dominique Sheldon, and I wondered if the two units were related in any way. Interestingly, a Dominic Sheldon was one of two English officers - the other was also called Sheldon and was either a nephew or an uncle (sources are unclear as to which of them was which) - serving in Lauzun's Legion in America during their War of Independence. The 1690s Sheldons were Irish, but the 1770s Sheldons were English (and came from Winchester, near where I live); with a name like Dominic - extremely rare in 18th Century England - I would assume they were Catholics, which might explain their enmity towards George III and their service in the army of France.

Hello there, It was a pleasure! Well about Sheldon, As far as I know, He was an Irish Count (Yes, Catholic! Nowadays officers in the Army still remain very Catholic), who commanded a tercio of Spanish Dragoons in the Spanish Army of Milan, but the troopers were not Irish, probably Italian and Spanish. That tercio became the Regimiento de Húsares de Pavía, which exists today.
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:33 am

Hi Chema,
as lovely your own illustrations are did you see those?

https://digitalcollections.nypl.org/col ... d385a7bc34

Best,
Günter
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
chema1986
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by chema1986 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:30 am

Friedrich August I. wrote:Hi Chema,
as lovely your own illustrations are did you see those?

https://digitalcollections.nypl.org/col ... d385a7bc34

Best,
Günter

Hi Günther, yes, I knew them and got inspired by them too, thanks !

by the way, this week I will have the first two greens in metal. Now I leave you with this comparison shot.

Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Re: My project...Sculpting Spanish for Late 17C. Comparison

Post by Friedrich August I. » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:03 pm

Hi Chema,

I thought that much:-)
To your comparing picture...could you tell me(us) who are the other manufacturers? Besides of Warfare to the far left :wink:

I just noticed that this is my 1964th posting.... my year of birth/prototype finished :lol: :lol:
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.