Waist Sashes for French Pikeman (First post)

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
The Rabblerouser
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Waist Sashes for French Pikeman (First post)

Post by The Rabblerouser » Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:58 pm

Just recently acquired some Northstar 1672 figures following a unit deal offer. I've got some dutch pikeman (http://www.northstarfigures.com/prod.php?prod=4059) as they were the only unarmoured pikeman they were doing in the deals.

While I want some flexibility in representation different nations with these figures I want to have my troops as part of regiments of Louis XIV's grand army following the standard light grey with red facings appearance. As these dutch pikeman are wearing waist sashes I want to know that if French unarmoured French pikeman were wearing waist sashes what colour would they be.

I've gathered that around the 1660s they may have been wearing white sashes which was later being worn by Louis's cavalry regiments. Would it seem likely that a French pikeman's waist sashes would be the same colour as the facings of the regiment they were part of?

Cheers
Tim
No man's knowledge here can go beyond his experience
- John Locke
lee sherman
Captain
Captain

Re: Waist Sashes for French Pikeman (First post)

Post by lee sherman » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:54 pm

I've always done them as white, they would be of poor quality though compared to the officers finery with gold or silver tassels or threads.
The Rabblerouser
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by The Rabblerouser » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:32 pm

Thanks, I suppose its just speculation about the definitive colour schemes during the early modernisation of European armies.
- John Locke
lee sherman
Captain
Captain

Post by lee sherman » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:05 pm

White sashes were also worn by English pikemen to make it more confusing so white wasn't just for the French
TheRightfulKing2013
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by TheRightfulKing2013 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:36 pm

I havent seen any images of French pikemen (except the officers) wearing White sashes though in Ospreys book "Louis XIV's army) it shows the Douglas regiment pikemen wearing a white sash, a cuirass and a burgonet helmet. During the Restoration English pikemen wore sashes (usually white), as perhaps did Danish pikemen in the Scanian war (again white).

However there is this image of a French pikeman wearing a red sash from the 20 yrs war. I have doubts as red are associated with Spain and Austria. But judge for yourself here it is.
The Rabblerouser
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by The Rabblerouser » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:29 am

Thanks, I ended up painting them white although at the moment they are just being regarded as a generic infantry until I decide what to do with them.

I have seen those osprey plates and the Douglas regiment seem to be wearing sashes that match their regiment cuff colour. Interest plates you sent even if their from the first half of the century.

My figures currently, more pictures in my blog
- John Locke
lee sherman
Captain
Captain

Post by lee sherman » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:38 pm

Very nice as you say they could be many possible regiments as lots were Grey and Red or just all Grey in the French
TheRightfulKing2013
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by TheRightfulKing2013 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:09 am

I think in the French army, stockings were often the same colour as the cuffs.
The Rabblerouser
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by The Rabblerouser » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:59 pm

TheRightfulKing2013 wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:09 am
I think in the French army, stockings were often the same colour as the cuffs.
When I painted these lot I didn't rally have a particular regiment in mind nor too much knowledge on uniform colours. I was just thinking about something that was on the lines being compatible with any generic infantry of the period. A friend of mine is planning a Vienna game so they could easily stand in for imperial defenders.
- John Locke