A few questions on BLB3

Any questions relating to Beneath the Lily Banners rule system.
The Rabblerouser
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

A few questions on BLB3

Post by The Rabblerouser » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:56 pm

Hi Barry and Clarence, just had a few questions in relation to whats been mentioned on the LOA blog.

1. You mentioned about some supplements for other conflicts during this period. Will ones like the GNW be included in main rule book with instructions on how to adapt this to the rules? If not will that and the others be sold individually then?

2. Will you have any new suggestions for starter armies like in BLB2?

3. Is the reference sheet going to be one double sided sheet or two again?

:D Keep up the good work :D
No man's knowledge here can go beyond his experience
- John Locke
quindia
General
General

Re: A few questions on BLB3

Post by quindia » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:56 pm

1. The main rules cover Ireland and the Western European theater. The GNW and Eastern Europe will be covered in a supplement. However, 90% of what you need is still in The War of Three Kings and you should be able to run games for the GNW (Barry has).

2. There is a sample game with two small armies that would be perfect for new collectors.

3. The reference sheet will be offered online rather than as a printed copy this time. I’m still working on it, but it will be at least two separate pages and might end up as three. The way the close combat and morale charts work requires quite a bit of space.

Hope that helps.. feel free to ask more questions if anything is unclear!
The Rabblerouser
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by The Rabblerouser » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:19 pm

Thanks Clarence I was also wondering about if there

1. are any mentions about adjusting the rules for a smaller scales like 15mm and 10mm as well having some basing suggestions? Those Pendraken LOA miniatures are really tempting.

2. Are the casualties scores still based on every 6 figures per stand(I might be wrong about this since I've only briefly read the old editions)

3. Also, a question on the GNW supplement from the earlier editions. When doing the Russians, do they have the additional pike block or can it just be part of the central command block like the Swedes?

Cheers
- John Locke
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:20 pm

1. You play with 15mm models easily by substituting all measurements in the book... simply replace inches for movement and shooting with cm. I would do the same with 10mm, using the 15mm scale bases, but just include more figures on a stand. Basing is not prescriptive - just use what is aesthetically pleasing. Even minor differences between armies is not a big deal. Suggested basing for 28mm models is listed in mm, so halving that for 15mm models is a good start!

2. Yes, infantry units have 6 'hits' per stand and horse units have 3 'hits' per stand, though the actual number of figures need not reflect this.

3. Well... sort of. The War of Three Kings allows for different pike to shot ratios which could be All Pike (or more like, mostly pike, representing poorly armed militia), Pike and Shot (33-50% pikes which would be most Swedes in the GNW, at least up to Poltava, and is represented by pikes on the command stand), Regulation (maybe 20-25% pikes which is the most common tactic of the era and is represented by the rear stand of pikes), and All Musket (well... no pikes).

The ratio of pike to shot varied for the Russians varied as the campaign progressed so you can probably use all of the allowed infantry ratios. In the early part of the war the use of pike was left to the regiment commander, but in 1707 Peter ordered all units be equipped with them. It's always a debate when units stopped using them. There are lots of folks on here who could break down Russian pike and shot ratios for you.

Barring concrete info, as far as I'm concerned, they are your toy soldiers and you should arm them as you see fit!
The Rabblerouser
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by The Rabblerouser » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:32 pm

1. You play with 15mm models easily by substituting all measurements in the book... simply replace inches for movement and shooting with cm. I would do the same with 10mm, using the 15mm scale bases, but just include more figures on a stand. Basing is not prescriptive - just use what is aesthetically pleasing. Even minor differences between armies is not a big deal. Suggested basing for 28mm models is listed in mm, so halving that for 15mm models is a good start!
Thanks again Clarence

When you say add more figures to the base, would that be for instance adding an extra 3 figures to a base of 6 figure? As the pendraken stuff comes in packs of 30 I just wondering if you had any opinion on how many units I could make out of that?
- John Locke
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:45 pm

I would just use what looks right in the space. Barry’s BLB units often have more than six 28mm models on a base with extra officers, etc. you can even get away with less by using bits of terrain to set a scene - a unit defending a wall for example. I don’t have any 10mm models so I can really give you a good answer, but I’m guessing you could easily fit eight models per base, so one pack probably on makes one unit. Even reducing the stand size to use the 6 models/base you couldn’t get two units out of one 30-model set. You COULD use 5 models per base, but I suspect the units would look very anemic in 10mm!

Check out this series from the blog. Although the models are all 28mm the techniques work for any scale...
Ben Waterhouse
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Ben Waterhouse » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:13 pm

I am really looking forward to the Third edition. :D
Arma Pacis Fulcra

God, War, Drink.
Gunfreak
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Gunfreak » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:21 pm

If i were doing BLB in 10mm i would do 3 ranks for French and others using 5-6 ranks formation. And 2 ranks for the 3 rank platoon fire armies like England and The Dutch.

How many you put on is totally up to you.

If you want big battles, make the units about standard BLB size(18-24 figures) on quite small bases. If you want regular sized battles (10-20 units per side) use 28mm size bases (45x40, 50x50 or 60x60mm ) and put a bunch of figures on them, like 12 figures per base for the French battalions.
DHautpol
Private
Private

Post by DHautpol » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:36 pm

I was prompted to move into this period by the fabulous figures in the Pendraken range.

To avoid the 'anaemic' looks suggested by Clarence, you will need to scale down the base sizes or the figures will be too spaced out, for want of a better expression. I worked on using two/thirds of the 15mm sizes suggested in BLB II and, as the sizes are variable, I drew various outlines on a sheet of paper to test the groupings to get a attractive density. I finally alighted on 25mm x 25mm for foot and 30mm x 30mm for horse.

A battalion comprises 2 bases of six musketeer/arquebusier figures for the 'wing' stands, a central stand with one officer, two colours, a drummer and two musketeer/arquebusier figures and a rear stand of five pikemen and one colour (I like flags). I purchase six additional colour bearers from Leon (although you could use the sergeant figure) and find that 3 packs of musketeer/arquebusiers, one command pack and one pikeman pack, together with the extras, will give me six battalions of foot. A pack of horse contains 15 castings, three of which are the command figures; two packs will provide two regiments, one of three squadrons and one of two squadrons.

I hope this dispels suggestions that 10mm would not look as good as other sizes.
Dfogleman2
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Dfogleman2 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:42 pm

I am starting a Scanian War Project with Pendraken figures. I am using 30mm square bases for infantry and cavalry. Two ranks of four infantry, with the occasional additional officer and/or musician per base. Three figures per base for cavalry. The Pendraken figures are great. They look like “miniature” Warfare Miniatures.
Ben Waterhouse
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Ben Waterhouse » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:05 am

Dfogleman2 wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:42 pm
I am starting a Scanian War Project with Pendraken figures. I am using 30mm square bases for infantry and cavalry. Two ranks of four infantry, with the occasional additional officer and/or musician per base. Three figures per base for cavalry. The Pendraken figures are great. They look like “miniature” Warfare Miniatures.
That's because they are designed by the same genius!
Arma Pacis Fulcra

God, War, Drink.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:25 am

Clib will be twitching if you describe him as a genius.. he wears a hair shirt!! :roll: .. but I would agree with the description.

The book log jam is finally cleared so here is the news:

1. Beneath the Lily Banners The War of Three Kings has gone to the printers. We will begin taking pre-orders on February 1 for delivery we hope in Week 1 March. The book is hardback with 184 pages. It will retail at £30.00
2. We are currently working on the formatting of 8 new pdfs for the Williamite Army at Aughrim together with another for the Protestant Armies of the North West in 1688-1689 period. In addition pdfs covering the Jacobite Army at Aughrim, Marlborough's Cork & Kinsale Expedition and the Swedish Infantry at Poltava are all work in progress and should be finished in February.
3. Scenario books for the campaigns in Ireland have moved right back up to the front of the queue. These will have scenarios for Donnybrook and BLB WTK - there are likely to be 3-5 books all in the style of WTK. Currently text is being reviewed to accommodate WTK.
4. UnIform guides currently available in pdf will be available in book form over the next few months.
5. Donnybrook Dark is edging towards commercial reality.
6. We are currently discussing Flanders NYW and WSS books.

We have not been hibernating over the winter counting our nuts!
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Mulciber
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Mulciber » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:18 am

Fantastic news! Can't wait.
arthur1905
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by arthur1905 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:10 pm

Barry,

great news, can't wait to get my order in for the WTK or the uniform guides, or for that matter the scenario books..

Mark
Emir of Askaristan
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Emir of Askaristan » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:21 pm

Time to quit lurking.....it's been a long time since my last post however news of BTLB3 brought me back.

Really looking forward to the new edition and will definitely be placing an order as soon as it's available.
All the Best

The Emir