Dixon minis

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
lee sherman
Captain
Captain

Dixon minis

Post by lee sherman » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:40 pm

Bought a few dixon minis see how they look and in a sub section there is a small range of The Army of Louis XIV the figures are very nice especially like the firing figures and have proper chunky cuffs! Only part letting them down is no Command eg standard barer and officers drummer and the grand alliance command are much smaller
Adam Hayes
Colonel
Colonel

Re: Dixon minis

Post by Adam Hayes » Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:44 am

I like them, very characterful. If you don’t like the command figures they mix quite well with the Foundry range for the period.

lee sherman
Captain
Captain

Post by lee sherman » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:22 am

The command figures are nice but they are much smaller in size as in noticeably smaller but they match perfect for the Grand Alliance range, Foundry are a larger 28mm scale? I've never bought them before I'll give them a go 👍
Adam Hayes
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Adam Hayes » Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:51 pm

If I recall correctly this regiment is made up of Dixon rank and file with some Foundry officers:

lee sherman
Captain
Captain

Post by lee sherman » Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:26 pm

Yes very nice figures sir.... those are the Grand Alliance range I've got the Army of Louis XIV range of figures but the Grand Alliance command are alot smaller than the Louis XIV range
Hanni
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Hanni » Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:25 pm

Might be worth having a look at the Northstar 1672 range, Ex Copplestone Castings, to see if any of those are suitable. I believe Mark Copplestone designed the Dixon ranges.
RogerC
Colonel
Colonel

Post by RogerC » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:24 pm

Northstar will be massivein comparison, the style might be similar but the difference between 25mm and "heroic" 28mm will be very noticable.
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:20 am

RogerC wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:24 pm
Northstar will be massivein comparison, the style might be similar but the difference between 25mm and "heroic" 28mm will be very noticable.
Would that be a real problem? At least you get some realism into the formation...use the "Heroics" as Grenadiers and Sub commanders and you get a step closer to reality as not all men are of the same size :wink:
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
lee sherman
Captain
Captain

Post by lee sherman » Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:26 am

That is true we are not all the same size, its probably just wargames miniature enthusiasts who must have every man the same hight and build same sized shoes and waists it's a good job we are not real military Commanders we would have no troops! 😂
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:56 am

lee sherman wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:26 am
That is true we are not all the same size, its probably just wargames miniature enthusiasts who must have every man the same hight and build same sized shoes and waists it's a good job we are not real military Commanders we would have no troops! 😂
The best thing being a Wargamer is that no blood is dripping from your fingertips....just some drops of paint :wink: :D
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
BaronVonWreckedoften
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:44 pm

Friedrich August I. wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:56 am
The best thing being a Wargamer is that no blood is dripping from your fingertips....just some drops of paint :wink: :D
You've not seen me using a paintbrush, have you? :roll: :oops:
No plan survives the first contact with the dice.