MARCH WEEKENDER - LIGNY

A Forum location for posts by members of the League and any other Visitors or Forum members who wish to post items and questions about our games and activities.
thinredline
Colonel
Colonel

Post by thinredline » Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:25 am

Ou est Le General (Schnapps). :?: :?:
C'est La Guerre mon amis :P :P
Vive L'Empereur 8)
Thinredline
"There is no retreat from here, men," Campbell told them as he rode down the line, "you must die where you stand."
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:31 am

Be careful this time Bob... the 'General' is also an Umpire... you might find things get a bit sticky :wink: ... he might even give you a Prussian command just to punish you!! :twisted:
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:37 pm

Chaps.

PLEASE CHECK YOUR E MAIL BEFORE YOU LEAVE TOMORROW...
PLAYSHEETS ARE IN YOUR INBOXES

Henry Ford
thinredline
Colonel
Colonel

Post by thinredline » Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:58 pm

Sacre Bleu :shock: :shock:
Moi :!: :!: - A Prussian - "O ME MISERUM!

Thinredline :wink:
"There is no retreat from here, men," Campbell told them as he rode down the line, "you must die where you stand."
General Schnapps
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by General Schnapps » Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:17 pm

Bob, :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

THE GENERAL
thinredline
Colonel
Colonel

Post by thinredline » Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:16 am

Looking forward to seeing you too Mein Herr General (and Umpire) :D :D :D (and the rest of the Gents :D )
What's the pay like in Prussian service, is the food any good, and is Schnapps any stronger than brandy :?:
Thinredline
sharnydubs
Colonel
Colonel

Post by sharnydubs » Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:38 am

Barry , thanks for the new playsheets for Republic to Empire.

Under the morale section guidelines you state that "If any unit qualifies on more than one test criteria it need only test once ". Is this once per Game Turn ?

e.g.

Cavalry squadron of 6 figures initiates charge against artillery. Tests morale for initiating charge/charging home, passes. Battery fires causing four casualties. Is no further test required until next turn or do they test after taking artillery casualties?

In the games we have played we have tended to test for initiating the charge / then test again after casualties from artillery (infantry and cavalry), then occasionally test again after melee !

see you tonight
Peter

"The only winner in the War of 1812 was Tchaikovsky"
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:03 am

Peter, you are in fact my 'model' rules play tester.... You'll always find something that cold be argued in a game :wink:

No actually that is incorrect. I will have to reword it. A cavalry unit could potentially test morale up to 4 times in a turn:

To charge
To charge home
To cease pursuit
To test for CinC killed.

What I actually mean by that clause is:

If a unit tests for a rout and passes then another unit fails say, to it's left but within 12 inches, the first unit need not test again that turn .

The clause covers the 'main reasons' to test. I will have to sort out the correct sentence construction to avoid ambiguity but thatnks for pointing it out! :D

Henry Ford
charge0.wanadoo.co.uk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by charge0.wanadoo.co.uk » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:45 am

Gentlemen, Firstly once again thank you for allowing me to get away at 3 o'clock - despite your kind words I still felt very guilty bunking off.
What a superb weekend. The terrain was magnificent (you can start painting wargame figuers agian now Adrian!), the special rules for the fighting in built up areas were first class - simple, innovative and realistic. Well done Kevin. Barry, your rules are really effective and have reallty good feel to them. We will, with your permission, use them again in june and although I will need three umpirers at least for day one, I think most of us can now self umpire which really speeds things up. The apres wargame side of the weekend was as enjoyable as ever although Angus has done my head in by putting a completely different spin on my new book "The Wargame Companion" which he thinks is an inflatable doll!! Thanks Angus!
Once again my thanks to you all for an outstanding weekend. Yours aye, Charles
sharnydubs
Colonel
Colonel

Post by sharnydubs » Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:02 am

Adrian, Kevin, fellow Leaguers,

My thanks to you all for another highly enjoyable weekend. The quality of terrain was a huge contributor to the success of the weekend. I liked the town of LIGNY so much that once I got in I didn't want to leave !

And I agree with Charles that the village rules and the new amendments to Barry's rules worked very well. In particular I liked the refitting of artillery rules. I didn't have any chance to put my cavalry into charge mode so don't know too much about the "blown" cavalry rules nor do I suspect does Angus who spent much of his combat time in the river.

Banter was great as ever. Uusally when I speak to family or friends about the hobby I rapidly see their eyes glaze over but so it was great for a change to be able to talk about our hobby with friends and without feeling like a total anorak!
Peter

"The only winner in the War of 1812 was Tchaikovsky"
Angus Konstam
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Ligny

Post by Angus Konstam » Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:10 am

Dear All,

Sharnydubs: You might feel you're not a total anorak, but ... :lol:

I concur with Peter - an excellent game, a beautiful Ligny, and convivial company. I tip my hat to Adrian for his unbiased umpiring, to Barry and Kevin for providing such great rules, and to Dale for his inspiring leadership.

I've posted pictures on my (total) anorak site if anyone's interested.

Pip Pip,

Count Exelmans
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:11 pm

Is your anorak dirty Angus?

You could then be Sharnyorak! 8)

Top Terrain Adrian
Top Umpiring Ade & Kev
Top order writing Dale
Top dice rolling and whiskers Bob
Top defence of Wagnelee Paul
Top round buying Charles!
Top zen buddhism-calmness under adversity Dave O'B!
Top wind-ups of each other Peter & Andy
Top performance on the flank Dave T
Top spying from Colin! - "It'll be ok when we find the ford Angus"
Dale Smith 1430 hrs 15th of April 2008.
Angus your Mustard Gas was NOT tops :roll:

Don't think I missed anyone did I??

Henry Ford
kutusov
Captain
Captain

Post by kutusov » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:51 pm

Nice pictures Angus :lol:

Barry look forward to reading the article in WSS in the not to distant future.

kutusov
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:10 pm

As everyone else has already said, the weekend was fantastic and inspiring, especially Adrians fantastic terrain. If it wasn't for the fact that we already have so many Napoleonics I would be tempted to paint some but I'll just stick to my Anglo American 1812 armies.

I hope General Blucher managed to get back on his horse and made it safely to Grimsby.

You'll be pleased to know that all my dice used on the first day have been stood against a wall and shot for their abysmal performance whereas the Sunday dice have been promoted. :wink:

Cheers
Dave
TigerLili
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by TigerLili » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:09 pm

I can't do much more than add my own to the praise already heaped on the organisers/umpires.
Thanks to French and Prussians alike, even though they aren't.
Really great terrain to fight over and rules to fight with. Fortunately Barry managed to hold on to part of Ligny to the bitter end as Peter really had us both (mainly me) on the ropes for much of the game.
A terrific weekend all round.
Looking forward to seeing you all again in June and some of you even sooner.
All the very best,

Colin