Dutch Artillery

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
curassier
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Dutch Artillery

Post by curassier » Sat May 31, 2008 3:06 pm

I want to get some light guns to intersperse with the units of an infantry brigade. Can anyone suggest uniform and gun carriage colours for the Dutch? Was much of the artillery in Marlboro's army Dutch or was it mainly British? When did the British Artillery go into blue coats faced red?
Sorry questions, and more questions.
Curassier.
Jonathan
Eugenio von Savoy
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army

Post by Eugenio von Savoy » Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:04 pm

Hi Jonathon

Hope the following assists in answering your questions.

(i) Can anyone suggest uniform and gun carriage colours for the Dutch?
There is little information on Dutch artillery uniforms other that the coloured drawings produced by retired Dutch major general of artillery, van Imbyze in 1821. The details were drawn from personal observations and additional information he had received from his father and grandfather. The period the pictures cover is 1608-1820. The Irish Government website for the Boyne battlefield includes a series of illustrations of Williamite artillery pieces and their respective crews. Imbyze also ties in with the national army museum source of a painting of the Boyne. The consensus is of blue coats lined red (or orange?). Breeches probably blue with grey-blue stockings. Dark broad brimmed hats. Gun handlers had unlined blue waistcoats rather than coats. I have found no records of uniform carriage colours and therefore suspect that the gun carriages were left natural timber.

(ii) Was much of the artillery in Marlboro's army Dutch or was it mainly British?
I’m still working on that for you but I suspect that the proportion would have been similar to the split in the other arms.

(iii) When did the British Artillery go into blue coats faced red?
Under Marlborough the British artillery wore red coats (for matrosses and pioneers) and crimson coats (for sergeants, corporals, gunners and pontoon men) faced blue. When the two permanent companies of artillery were formed at Woolwich in 1716 they adopted their blue coats faced red with blue breeches and white stockings.

Regards
Tim
"Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak, Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen."
Sir Winston Churchill,
hwiccee

Post by hwiccee » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:53 am

(ii) Was much of the artillery in Marlboro's army Dutch or was it mainly British? I’m still working on that for you but I suspect that the proportion would have been similar to the split in the other arms.
Yes it was split more or less in proportion and also the other contingents usually provided some guns as well - i.e. if the army has Prussians then there are usually some guns as well. Usually only the light guns though.
Captain of Dragoons
Major General
Major General

Post by Captain of Dragoons » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:25 pm

Try looking in Chandler's 'Blenheim Preparation'. IIRC there is a chapter on artillery and Chandler talks about a English Artillery Train and a Dutch Artillery Train.

cheers
Edward
Captain of Dragoons
curassier
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Dutch artillery

Post by curassier » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:14 pm

Really helpful gentlemen, many thanks.
Jon M.
Jonathan
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:06 pm

How many guns would represent battalion guns?
One model per battalion or should a few battalion guns be grouped into batteries?

Cheers
Dave
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:11 pm

no batteries Dave.. single deployed guns.. I would go 1 per brigade as opposed to per battalion
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Churchill
General
General

Dutch Artillery

Post by Churchill » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:00 pm

Hi Jonathon,

Just as a matter of interest Marlborough's British Artillery at the Battle of Blenhiem was under the command of a Colonel Holcroft Blood and it consisted of (Left Wing) 6 Culverins (9pdrs) supporting the attack on Oberglauheim, 10 Sakers (5pdrs) & 4 Howitzers supporting the attack on Blenheim, 24 x (3pdrs) 16 of which were from the British train.
(Right Wing) 16 x (3pdrs).
Blenheim was fought in southern germany so no Dutch there, but Marlborough's other three great victories all took part in Flanders where the Dutch played a big part.

Hi Dave,

Yes this isn't Napoleonic Artillery I'm affraid, no horse artillery in this period.Once placed it usually never moved again possibly only to reline itself when firing on a different target.Most of the artillerymen were no more than civillians.Few guns in any one action and if you look at the numbers used at Blenheim above for wargaming purposes I'd divide these by 6 giving you 1 x 9pdr, 2 x 5pdrs (these are still field guns with 3 crew each), 7 x 3pdrs (light or battalion guns with 2 crew each).
I'd go with Barry's advice 1 x 3pdr per brigade.

Regards..........Ray.

hwiccee

Post by hwiccee » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:15 am

The limber drivers and similar train personel were always civilians & using their own horses, not horses belonging to the army/government. So normally by the time the first shot is fired, if not earlier, these guys disappeared to the rear taking their horses with them. This of course made most of the artillery totally immobile.
Me paints good
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Re: Dutch Artillery

Post by Me paints good » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:29 am

I don't think they were crazy enough not to paint their gun carriages......IMO, especially in a - climate like Ireland. Once the water gets in and the wood soaks everything up it will get spongy and screw up all the math. Artillerists nightmare.

What color were they in the WSS?
Churchill
General
General

Post by Churchill » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:00 pm

Hi Me Paints Good,

How are you doing? Long time no see on here...this is a old post 2008.
To answer your question Dutch Artillery carriages were painted Brick Red with Black metal work during the 1650's.

http://rampjaar.blogspot.co.uk/2009_09_01_archive.html

The British painted their's Blue and here are mine...

I hope this helps, but maybe someone else might help with Dutch artillery during the WSS.

Best Wishes,

Ray.
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:16 pm

Here is the according article from the website Ray has linked you

http://rampjaar.blogspot.co.uk/2009/09/ ... lours.html

You can use the above link or scroll down a bit by yourself :wink:

Günter
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
Me paints good
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Me paints good » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:30 pm

Hi Churchill......I'm getting back in the period, started doing some 15mm Lurkio stuff, but eyeing the Old Dixon 25's and thinking I might do a small Bavarian Army for FOGR