From a single tree to a woodland area

OK, so after two years I've finally given in to having a section of the FORUM specifically set up to discuss painting techniques, display examples, show your latest projects and chat about this vital part of the hobby. Manufacturers please feel free to post up your sculpts, ask questions about what the gamers are after and generally promote your work.. no charge! Painters, please also feel free to post up your work for comment and critique. I can't promise the unreserved adulation characteristic of some other fora but I would hope you'd get constructive and measured comment!
nevermore
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by nevermore » Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:36 am

I have always put my trees on a single round base, then i thought it did'nt make sense, if i put it on a single square base i could create a large wooded area.

Here is my single 28mm base i create, the base is foam, i got a large box of seafoam trees, which came as soft, bent and basically not fit for a wargame table, after i came up with idea i thought i could put some strenght into these trees and make them more realistic and fit for a wargame table.

Box that they came in was around 20 seafoam trees, i thought i could easy get 60-80 trees and plenty of bushes out of this. Get a tree and dip it in PVA water, hang it upside down on the washing line, use a peg to hang it on and a peg for weight, this will straighten the trunk and parts.

Single square base tree 28mm

image hosting no account

Woodland area, i can create my woods large or small

post a picture

I used hairspray on my seafoam trees and dipped them into a container of grass, then sprayed again and repeated the process till i thought it looked ok, once in the foam base i put clay/milliput epoxy putty around the base, once dry i PVA all the trunk and base for more strenght.then touched up with paint.

Everything else is bits from a dog walk and the long grass is from a punk dolls hair and a hanging basket liner.

img host
j1mwallace
Major General
Major General

Re: From a single tree to a woodland area

Post by j1mwallace » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:03 am

Hairspray? Just sprayem and dip? Any particular "hold"?
Really like these. I have loads of seafoam and always think it looks realistic but have no real idea of how to use it .
nevermore
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Re: From a single tree to a woodland area

Post by nevermore » Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:49 am

Seriously Jim, best use a black matt, just a touch and dip into a container, then hairspray - just spray and dip, once you are happy with it one more spray to hold, believe me it works.I then just touch up with a yellow paint on the leaves you create to give it that finishing touch.

Let me know how you get on.