First Schleswig War

covering mainly Crimean & American Civil War
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

First Schleswig War

Post by Friedrich August I. » Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:02 am

Dear Friends,

Goaded by the recent issue of WI 295 and the threads here I'm interested to expand my Saxons into the next century of Warfare.
As I know how they should look like but I cant find out what manufactures are available to provide figures for them.
To some extend they seemed to have worn similiar uniforms like the :?: Austrians :?:
But as my knowledge of this time is very limited I would like to receive your advise.

Thanks for anything

Günter
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Re: First Schleswig War

Post by obriendavid » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:29 am

Gunter, trust you to want to do Saxons, probably the most obscure army in the war, if you can call a Brigade an army? I told you you were mad :lol: if you are interested in the war I would recommend getting hold of 'The Armies of the First Schleswig-Holstein War 1848-51' by Ralph Weaver, available through Partizan Press or here at Amazon.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Armies-Schleswi ... 1858184991

Apart from Aly Morrison's Shiny Toy soldier range which are 40mm and very toy like the only other company I know of who produce figures for this period is this one.
http://www.waterlootomons.com/shop.php

Matt hasn't produced anything Saxon but perhaps you can find something in the Perry's Carlist War range? or as you said you could probably get away with Napoleonic Austrians.
Cheers
Dave
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:54 am

obriendavid wrote:.......I told you you were mad :lol:
Cheers
Dave
Hi Dave,

This from a person like you with such a colorful ancestor :wink: makes me very proud :D

I cant say that I am fond of any of the "Four Empires" so I did choose the least possible nation again :D
But I think that the RtE based "FE"-Rules can be used for the time of the Schleswig Wars, the Austrian/Prussian War of 1866 and the Franco/Prussian War. And for the last one the Saxon had the XII. Army-Corps in use under one of Prussia's best Generals Prince Albert of Saxon.

So I will take your 'hint' and look for a later Period to build my last part of the Saxon Army.

Thanks
Günter
Last edited by Friedrich August I. on Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:53 pm

Friedrich August I. wrote:
obriendavid wrote:.......I told you you were mad :lol:
Cheers
Dave
Hi Dave,
This from a person like you with such a colorful ancestor :wink: makes me very proud :D
I think that the RtE based "VE"-Rules can be used for the time of the Schleswig Wars, the Austrian/Prussian War of 1866 and the Franco/Prussian War. And for the last one the Saxon had the XII. Army-Corps in use under one of Prussia's best Generals Prince Albert of Saxon.
So I will take your 'hint' and look for a later Period to build my last part of the Saxon Army.
The Saxons certainly performed admirably in the '66 and FPW. Unfortunately nobody produces figures for the '66 so I have to use my FPW ones instead.
Cheers
Dave
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:27 pm

obriendavid wrote: The Saxons certainly performed admirably in the '66 and FPW. Unfortunately nobody produces figures for the '66 so I have to use my FPW ones instead.
Cheers
Dave
That should have said that because nobody produces Saxons for the '66 or FPW I have to use my Wurttemburgers as a stand in, unless they are fighting the Prussians in their own right. It's interesting just how disliked the Prussians were by other Germans, is it stil like that?
Cheers
Dave
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:51 pm

I am not sure what the exact reason was for the disliking of Prussia.
In case of the Saxons it was the splitting of the Kingdom in half.
King Albert worked hard to bring the Saxons and Prussians together.

A reason for Wuerttemberg to favour the Austrian side 1866 was that Prussia behaved like once Napoleon did. Prussia pointed with the sword on them and demanded to join them which Wuerttemberg refused.

How did the Wuerttemberg Army look these days?
Do you have any Uniform pictures at hand?
What figures did you use?

obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:39 pm

Foundry did a range of Wurttemberg figures but just had a look and it seems as if they have taken them off the range.
You can find some on Ebay
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WARGAMES-FOUN ... 43addc8aee
Cheers
Dave
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:38 pm

obriendavid wrote:Foundry did a range of Wurttemberg figures but just had a look and it seems as if they have taken them off the range.
You can find some on Ebay
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WARGAMES-FOUN ... 43addc8aee
Cheers
Dave
Thanks Dave for sharing this.
As far as I can tell they look like the Uniforms the Saxons had :cry:
Seems that I am allways to late with my choices...

obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:02 am

By the FPW they had both adopted Prussian style uniforms but with cuff distinctions and the Wurttemburgers wore double breasted jackets instead of Prussian single breasted ones. The Wurttembergers also wore blue cloth kepis and although the Saxons had been uniformed with Prussian style Picklehaubes they prefered to wear their visored feldmutze's to differentiate themselves from the Prussians.
Cheers
Dave
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:57 am

Gunter, Wurttemburg infantry uniforms FPW.
http://digitalgallery.nypl.org/nypldigi ... &snum=&e=w
Cheers
Dave
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:00 am

obriendavid wrote:By the FPW they had both adopted Prussian style uniforms but with cuff distinctions and the Wurttemburgers wore double breasted jackets instead of Prussian single breasted ones. The Wurttembergers also wore blue cloth kepis and although the Saxons had been uniformed with Prussian style Picklehaubes they prefered to wear their visored feldmutze's to differentiate themselves from the Prussians.
Cheers
Dave
Dave,
You are as resourcefull as ever :shock: :D Thank You.
I managed to overlook that point with the Pickelhaub's as the book from Wolfgang Friedrich 'The Uniforms of the Royal Saxon Army 1810 - 1867' does not show even one picture of Saxons wearing this helmet. Therefor I thought only Feldmuetze and such things like cavalry helmets as the Austrians
and 'Raupenhelms' like those the Wuerttembergs
had in the Napoleonic wars.

Thanks for the link which I once had too but lost it while installing Win7 on my PC :roll:

So I'm back on the lookout for german/prussian/Saxons manufacturers who do figures wearing such headdress.
If non are out there maybe I have to start that range somewhere in the future :wink: ....after 1812/2012 of course :D

obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:54 am

Friedrich August I. wrote: So I'm back on the lookout for german/prussian/Saxons manufacturers who do figures wearing such headdress.
If non are out there maybe I have to start that range somewhere in the future :wink: ....after 1812/2012 of course :D
Helion had said when they started their 1866 range that they were going to produce Saxons but they spent so long and spent so much producing what seems like 150 variations of Prussian infantry and took so long to even produce Austrians that I think their cash flow suffered that I think any idea of producing Saxons were thrown out and as we know they sold the range to North Star so perhaps we should pester Nick to produce some Saxon figures.
Cheers
Dave
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:40 am

Dave,

I searched 3 hours the I-Net and I think I found suitable figures. What do you think about theese:
http://oldglory15s.com/catalog/index.ph ... 21_852_855
or
http://www.mirliton.it/index.php?cName= ... indip-wars

obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:18 pm

Gunter, the Saxons look quite good but the trouble I have always had with Old Glory is that what you see online and in their display cabinet at shows is not what you end up with in your packets. I have been disappointed so many times by miscast figures, wierd poses and/or broken bayonets and rifles that I have stopped buying their stuff. The final straw was a pack of Victorian naval landing party where out of 24 figures 14 of them had broken rifles or swordbayonets broken off. All my complaints by email went unanswered and complaining at shows didn't help either.

I quite like the Mirleton figures but they have an old school style about them that many people don't like. I'm currently painting some of their Bersaglieri which I think look great and you can see some of their Austrian infantry, artillery and cavalry on my blog. I also have some of the Garibaldi figures to start the Risorgimento at some point in the future when Barry stops distracting me with other projects. :lol:
http://davestoybox.blogspot.co.uk/2012/ ... -wars.html
Cheers
Dave
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:53 pm

Dave,
Thanks for this insights. In case of the Old Glory I heard somethings like that allready.
As this part of history tends to distract me too I end this thread.
Thanks again for all your help Dave.

Best Wishes
Günter