First BLB Unit

OK, so after two years I've finally given in to having a section of the FORUM specifically set up to discuss painting techniques, display examples, show your latest projects and chat about this vital part of the hobby. Manufacturers please feel free to post up your sculpts, ask questions about what the gamers are after and generally promote your work.. no charge! Painters, please also feel free to post up your work for comment and critique. I can't promise the unreserved adulation characteristic of some other fora but I would hope you'd get constructive and measured comment!
Heneborn
Major
Major

First BLB Unit

Post by Heneborn » Sat May 31, 2008 8:13 am

Well, here's my first unit, it's the Dalregementet from probably sometime around 1700. Reiver miniatures, very basic painting, just one highlight on most areas. I have a few more finished, not just based yet, but I'll get around to that!

barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sat May 31, 2008 9:08 am

Henebron, great unit! :D The Dal are one of my favourite Swedish units.
I see you have also gone for cotton flags!
Who is next to be completed??

Welcome to the forum incidentally :D
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Heneborn
Major
Major

Post by Heneborn » Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:04 am

Thanks!

Next up is one batallion Södermanlandsregemente and one squadron of Karelska kavalleriregementet, which is a Finnish unit. Just the basing to do on them!

Yes I did the cotton flags, it seemed really hard at first but I didn't want plain photo copied flags so I tried and it was much more easy than I thought, and it looks great!
reiver rob
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Post by reiver rob » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:44 am

Heneborn,
As Barry said 'Great Unit'. I look forward to seeing your other figures when they're finished. What army are you going to fight them against?
big-gazza
Brigadier General
Brigadier General
Location: Married with Children........in Strathaven, Scotland.

Post by big-gazza » Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:55 pm

Hi,
very nice. Simple colour scheme that will loko great on the table.

Gazza
Heneborn
Major
Major

Post by Heneborn » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:28 pm

Karelska kavalleriregementet

Only one squadron so far, I'll probably make another one. The uniform is the 1702 version, later (1713) the uniform was all blue. But I liked the grey so I used it, it will give a little variation :wink:

At the beginning of the Great Northern War the unit served in the Swedish Baltic regions and later followed Lewenhaupts army to the Ukrania were it participated in the battle of Poltava were it was captured. It was reestablished in 1710 and then served in the war in Finland and later in the Norwegian campaigns of 1716 and 1718.

Reiver rob: I will probably use these against a combined Danish and Saxon army, but I am not sure yet.

Thanks for all kind words!
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:36 pm

Very nice Henebron.... so much love going into your Swedes but surely living in Goteborg you consider yourself a Dane :wink:

Henry Ford
Heneborn
Major
Major

Post by Heneborn » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:36 pm

barr7430 wrote:Very nice Henebron.... so much love going into your Swedes but surely living in Goteborg you consider yourself a Dane :wink:
Haha, what are you saying!? Gothenburg has never been Danish! :wink:

Gothenburg lies in Västra Götaland which is a small corridor in to Skagerack (the sea) only a few kilometres wide (in between Bohuslän and Halland). It has been swedens only way to the sea for centuries and divided the Danish-Norwegian kingdom. I actually live next to the "Danish road" which was the only way danish and norwegian soldiers and officials could travel between the countries in peace time.

You are probably thinking of Halland, Skåne and Blekinge which were Danish territory up until 1658 I think, you can still hear the Danish heritage in people that live there in how they speak. My mother is from Skåne though and I have a lot of family there so I probably have ancestor which has fought for both sides!

Hm, maybe too much information, well now you know at least ;)
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:19 am

Oh, I knew a little bit :wink: I was just teasing :lol: I have a friend who lives in Skane who always says he is Danish :shock:

Henry Ford
Heneborn
Major
Major

Post by Heneborn » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:48 pm

barr7430 wrote:I have a friend who lives in Skane who always says he is Danish :shock:
I have an uncle like that, and both his sisters are married to "swedes", not too happy about that I think ;)

Anyway, I thought I'd post a picture of these, it's the Danish Footguard in 1712 when the whole Danish army switched to red coats instead of grey ones. The legs should be yellow too but somehow I started making them white and once I had painted 12 of them and discovered the mistake I didn't want to re-do it :lol:

All front rank miniatures which are beautiful but doesn't really fit in with my existing reiver miniatures so I am going to sell these on Ebay, hopefully somebody wants them :D
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:18 pm

You have done them very well :D and will have no problem selling them.

I am really stuck on Reiver now - just finishing the Dutch Regiment Brandenburg. I have used a rather unusual linen shade for their coats which contrasts extremely well with the facing colour. Hopefully pictures if a few days if I finish them before my next trip on Business! :cry:

Henry Ford
Heneborn
Major
Major

Post by Heneborn » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:27 pm

Can't wait to see them! My next unit will be another danish with reiver miniatures, I can't decide which one though...

By the way, do you use macro when you take pictures of your units? Somehow I always end up with some part of the unit out of focus, you probably have a better camera than me but anyway :wink:
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:02 pm

1. Don't use flash
2. Get a tripod & shutter release cable
3. Light your models well
4. Learn to use the A (Aperture setting) on your camera
5. Take it off automatic settings
6. Shut the aperture down, lengthen the exposure and take shots with the cable
7. I sometimes use macro but that is not relevant : aperture and speed are what count for mini photography :D

Henry Ford
Heneborn
Major
Major

Post by Heneborn » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:28 pm

Just a picture of something I painted in between units, the base turned out really boring, I might do something about that in the future.

Next up is one almost completed danish battalion and then some swedish dragoons!
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:05 pm

Again Heneborn, looking really nice - you can always re configure the base 8)

Henry Ford