BLB first timer questions

Any questions relating to Beneath the Lily Banners rule system.
wargaminginmaine

BLB first timer questions

Post by wargaminginmaine » Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:20 pm

Our group is learning BLB and have a few questions from our most recent game that we hope someone can answer.

1. One of our charges involved a unit of horse that contacted a stand of light artillery. The artillery successfully stood and fired but inflicted no casualties so the cavalry moved to contact. Do the gunners actually stay to fight, rout towards the table edge, or should we have removed them? If they are removed from play, does the charging cavalry unit pursue? I think the pursuit section says that pursuit occurs when a unit routs, but if the target of the charge is removed from play..?

2. When a unit Retires, does it do so facing the enemy or away?

3. When a unit is on Defend orders I believe we read that the brigade office must attach, or the overall commander visit to change the order. Does visit mean attach, or simply be within command span of the unit on defend?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Dean
Maine, USA
Blackcat66

Re: BLB first timer questions

Post by Blackcat66 » Sat Feb 26, 2022 4:07 pm

I think as follows…

Gunners contacted by a charge just disappear without a fight. As page 90 of the rules

When a unit retires….As I recall we gave it a form order to regain good unit order and then it can face any direction, I’ve never seen any reference to moving backwards whilst facing the enemy. I’m happy to be proved wrong though. Page 102 has some examples.

For the attach question, we play as the Brigadier/ Supreme commander makes base contact with the unit in question. The fellas need to Hear what he has to say up close and personal!
wargaminginmaine

Post by wargaminginmaine » Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:37 pm

Thank you, Blackcat66.

In the instance of the gunners being removed from play, does the charging cavalry stop at the point of impact or would they continue the charge if there were a target within range and facing, as would be done in pursuit?
Blackcat66

Post by Blackcat66 » Sat Mar 05, 2022 8:40 am

Sorry for the late reply…

A good question and a situation that can occur quite frequently. So, bear in mind that the charge order given to the Cavalry is against a SPECIFIC target. The rule book is a bit unclear on this so,We play it as stopping at point of contact as the target has dissolved and the cav is now disordered and they have to take a morale check to halt and reform…or not if failed.

It’s easy to conceive of a unit of charging cav crashing into the next available target etc but have a look at page 109 for “Horse contacting fresh enemy during pursuit” there isn’t really a pursuit as such as the tiny unit of Gunners has disappeared, so if you fail the morale you’d hit the the next target in the charge phase of the NEXT turn.

I’m not sure if this makes things any clearer but that’s how I’d do it in this circumstance.

Mike.