Formations in Republic to Empire

Questions, chat, feedback and developments relating to REPUBLIC TO EMPIRE... Wargaming the wars of Napoleon Bonaparte.
Anonymous

Formations in Republic to Empire

Post by Anonymous » Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:56 pm

Hi Barry,

While reading the rules for RtE I came to the part with the possible formations. All seems to be OK on my part, only that a company column is a not usable fighting formation gives me some headaches.
What should I do with a nation that didnt know any other formation then line and column of companies, in my case Saxons 1810-1813. Infantry was formed as follows:
Each Regiment has 10 companies (150-200 men each), 8 of fusiliers and 2 of grenadiers in 2 Batallions. That gives 4 fusilier-companies in each Battallion. Grenadiers where brigaded with 2 other companies to form a Grenadier-Batallion attached to the brigade with there parent regiments. How do I form an attack column? I couldnt find any historical backround that they were able to form anything other then line or column.
But this question will also fit on other states like Austria and all others who formed not after the french model.
Maybe I overlooked something on my way?

On the other hand maybe I think to much, so I just form the unit into a dense column and there they go :)

Cheers

Günter
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:31 pm

Hi Gunter,

there are a few ways round this. The column of companies is one company wide. If the Saxons and Austrians formed more than one company wide in battle then it is by definition a Column of attack for R2E.

If you want to penalise the Saxons and Austrians and prevent them from using French style Colonne d'attaque then minimise the the combat modifier down a little. The colonne d'attaque is perhaps over emphasised in many historical accounts as the French would often try and deploy OUT of it just before contact and go into Line.

I would not worry too much.. I think it is a good question though! :D
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:07 pm

Hi Barry,

Thank You, that should do it :!: Now back to the study of the rules :)

Cheers

Günter