FROTHING ON TMP

Questions, chat, feedback and developments relating to REPUBLIC TO EMPIRE... Wargaming the wars of Napoleon Bonaparte.
CoffinDodger
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by CoffinDodger » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:22 pm

MarechalNey wrote: Yeah, I got the same news from Caliver and unsubscribed...
Marechal Ney,

Unfortunately it was the only site from which I could obtain C S Grant's two volumes on the uniforms of Marlborough's wars and there are a few other out of print books that they come up with, so I'm afraid I will have to stick with them.

Unless anyone knows of a better supplier?

Jim
“I can assure you, Gentlefolk, they look better from a distance."
Jim O'Neill.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:55 pm

CoffinDodger wrote:
MarechalNey wrote: Yeah, I got the same news from Caliver and unsubscribed...
Marechal Ney,

Unfortunately it was the only site from which I could obtain C S Grant's two volumes on the uniforms of Marlborough's wars and there are a few other out of print books that they come up with, so I'm afraid I will have to stick with them.

Unless anyone knows of a better supplier?

Jim
I can recommend a german source

http://www.zinnfigur.com

I searched at once for CS Grants books and they have both on stock, in case anyone wants to know.
Grant, C. S.: The Armies and Uniforms of Marlborough´s Wars (Vol.1)
and
Grant, C. S.: The Armies and Uniforms of Marlborough´s Wars (Vol.2)

€ 24,80 each

I think thats an alternative to Caliver
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Fri May 07, 2010 11:41 am

Interesting to read the developing thread in TMP now (yesterday I think).. initiated by Clarence but with a clear recognition from some contributors of the 'shooting from the lip' principle and its consequences in terms of collateral damage. Nice to see one fellow challenging himself on jumping to conclusions.
The Frothers have flitted off to infest some other issue of pith and moment for a millisecond and the gamers are now throwing some dice.. it R2E have moved to the next phase of analysis and discussion as predicted..
I am happy with that :wink:
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Captain Chook
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Captain Chook » Fri May 07, 2010 8:18 pm

I on't belong to TMP, otherwise I would have added some comments of my own. It is good to see more reasoned comments regarding RtE.

As far as units goes, the last game with VB had 12 units on the Anglo-Portuguese side and 17 on the French. This excludes the two large skirmish screens thrown out by the French and the two smaller ones from the Portuguese. All up 29 (or perhaps 33 bodies of troops plus six command figures).
Being still novices we spent a lot of time reading rules as we went and debating certain points.
To set up the table, play the game, have a gourmet lunch (thanks Mrs VB), a couple of beers, continue playing and then pack away the game took seven hours.
Game time itself was probably five and a half hours. Although we didn't finish the game, another three moves may have got us there. Due to my shonky game design, a disproportionate amount of time was in the advance of the French.
Once we know the rules better we will get through far more moves.
In comparison, we would spend the same time with a GdB game. We have played that for at least two years. We also often don't quite get to the end of a game with that.

Does anyone have a good way of tracking MPs? This did cause a lot of delay as we figured out what we could spend where and how. As things got complicated in the latter part of the game I found I had to consider my MPs several tims in the move. Perhaps I need a time limit!! :lol:
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Fri May 07, 2010 9:27 pm

MP Chips.. that is what I designed 'em for! :wink:
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Captain Chook
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Captain Chook » Fri May 07, 2010 11:11 pm

Chips are for eating!
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Sat May 08, 2010 12:36 am

Captain Chook wrote: As things got complicated in the latter part of the game I found I had to consider my MPs several tims in the move. Perhaps I need a time limit!! :lol:
A time limit is a good idea and we quite often use it in our larger games where we are trying to reach a conclusion in a specific time scale.

Cheers
Dave