Fighting in BUAs - Questions (Sorry)

Questions, chat, feedback and developments relating to REPUBLIC TO EMPIRE... Wargaming the wars of Napoleon Bonaparte.
Captain Chook
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Fighting in BUAs - Questions (Sorry)

Post by Captain Chook » Sun May 09, 2010 8:50 pm

With us being ambitious and hoping to put on a game at our local wargames conference, we are aware that we need to be certain about the rules so we can present the game as well as we can.

So far, we have not fought a true BUA battle , but I have done a few mock battles with the rules.

1. A composite force attacks a BUA. Elements of units A,B and C attack the enemy battalion X. There is also a nearby battery Y supporting the defenders.
As part of battalion support fire Y inflicts several casualties. Do these get spread through all the attackers, or , as B is the only unit actually in the arc of fire all casualties fall on that unit.

2. During the attack A and B have their COs to the fore. One, from battalion A, is tragically killed during the firing phase. Does A take a Resolve check now for loss of commander and then another for it's test to charge home after taking casualties?

3. As a result of losing their CO, A fail their resolve to charge home and in fact rout. I would presume the other units, B and C are obliged to follow through with the attack despite being without A (assuming they pass resolve for friendlies routing and resolve to charge home).

4. What happens once a defender gets below the minimum for the size of the BUA?

Other queries I had I have managed to answer myself. It's amazing what you can do when you read the rules properly!
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Mon May 10, 2010 10:51 am

1. A composite force attacks a BUA. Elements of units A,B and C attack the enemy battalion X. There is also a nearby battery Y supporting the defenders.
As part of battalion support fire Y inflicts several casualties. Do these get spread through all the attackers, or , as B is the only unit actually in the arc of fire all casualties fall on that unit.

Only on the visible unit in this case

2. During the attack A and B have their COs to the fore. One, from battalion A, is tragically killed during the firing phase. Does A take a Resolve check now for loss of commander and then another for it's test to charge home after taking casualties?

This is logical but not right. A technicality really. The Colonel/Battlaion CO would not 'expose himself' until contact therefore is not susceptable to being singled out as a casualty until the close combat itself. The 'leading the charge' option is meant to be that inspirational moment at the breach where the gallant officer strides forward and basically says ' OK Lads (Garcons!) follow Moi!!
Charge home test only unless a general officer - Brigadier or more senior) is with the assaulters and thus the question is legitimate. If this happens the test is done ONLY once although there are two reasons... the compound disadvantgae in such a case would be that the unit would receive an extra minus for being outwith command radius of its brigadier.

3. As a result of losing their CO, A fail their resolve to charge home and in fact rout. I would presume the other units, B and C are obliged to follow through with the attack despite being without A (assuming they pass resolve for friendlies routing and resolve to charge home).

Unusual situation but entirely possible :shock:
They would not check Resolve for Friendlies routing at that point because that check comes at the end of the phase. The charge home is what they'd check for. When in combat they would ignore the friendlies routing so actually.. overall this is a little anomalous situation where B & C just go for it and see A as collateral damage on their own journey to glory.

4. What happens once a defender gets below the minimum for the size of the BUA?

If they are passing their checks they fight to the death. There is no penalty for being understrength.
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Captain Chook
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Captain Chook » Mon May 10, 2010 6:41 pm

Thanks for being so prompt with the replies.
I also found the section stating the loss of the battalion CO leads to the downgrading of a units status.

Final question I think.
If a battalion, B is within the zone of control for a BUA, could it legitimately be charged by unit Z as in the diagram below?

obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Mon May 10, 2010 7:02 pm

Unit B could be charged by unit Z provided that at least X or Y were attacking the BUA as this takes away its zone of control.

Cheers
Dave