Austrians

Questions, chat, feedback and developments relating to REPUBLIC TO EMPIRE... Wargaming the wars of Napoleon Bonaparte.
azeroth
Captain
Captain

Austrians

Post by azeroth » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:57 pm

Quick R2E question,

Austrians ideal battalion size for generic units to be useful under the rules please?

Thanks in advance

IanB
A moth eaten rag on a worm eaten pole
It does not look likely to stir a man's soul
'Tis the deeds that were done 'neath the moth eaten rag
When the pole was a staff and the rag was a flag.

E Hamley
Rob Herrick
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Re: Austrians

Post by Rob Herrick » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:09 pm

For German regiments, book strength was 4 companies of 200 men each in 1805, then six companies of 216 each. For Hungarian regiments, book strength was 4 companies of 200 men each in 1805, then six companies of 238 men. That puts a book strength of 800 to 1200 or more. Unit strengths varied from 600 (or less) to some massive 1200 strong battalions, and you can't generalize to say that German battalions were always smaller than Hungarian ones.

With that said, I'd recommend building line battalions at 48 figures; six companies of 8 men each. That puts you roughly in the middle of what Austrian battalions fielded. You can always slim that down to represent a force that's fought a few battles.

For Grenadiers, the book strength was lower after 1805 (~145 men). Grenadier battalions were either six or four companies; six is more usual. The composition of a Grenadier battalion was fixed at the outbreak of war (but not the same from war to war!). Book strength would then be 560-840 men.

I'd recommend doing your grenadiers in 36 (6 companies of 6 men each) or 42 (six companies of 7 men each). That depends on how you want to base, of course.
With Gen'l Custer Down in Mexico: Yes, one of the goals is to see how many times one can get him killed.
azeroth
Captain
Captain

Post by azeroth » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:21 pm

Thanks Rob,

Not sure how to base them seem to be many varied ideas looking through the forums, so any ideas/advice would be appreciated.

IanB

E Hamley
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:02 pm

IanB,

in the case of such large units 8 bases of 6 or 6 bases of 8 figures does looks fine in my opinion.

I see a mountain of Lead rolling in your direction :wink:

Best Wishes,

Günter
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
azeroth
Captain
Captain

Post by azeroth » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:43 pm

Ty

Mountain of plastic Gunter, wish the glue didn't set the wife's asthma off though.

I can imagine the effect of a line of 48 figure battalions would have would look impressive as well :)

Still trying to decide if i should include a mounted oficer in each unit and how best to do that if i do. So many choices

IanB

E Hamley
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:50 pm

Including an officer may look very fine. If 6 or 8 figure base does'nt matter.
Below my choice for my (metal) Saxons, 36 Figures strong

Happy brainstorming :wink:

Günter
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
BP
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by BP » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:05 pm

I was planning on basing my Austrians (if I can ever finish the current batch of 7 British Battalions - 20 figures painted in almost 3 months :shock: ) in units of 36 - 6 bases of 6, and include the mounted officer in each.

Bill.
Rob Herrick
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Rob Herrick » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:08 pm

I'd recommend 12 bases of 4, based 2x2 for line infantry. That way you get realistic looking march columns, the flexibility to reduce size from 48 to 44 or 40 or 36 as needed, and still maintain "company basing" at full strength. Also, I would either paint independent skirmishing pairs, or put some of the infantry on 2x1 bases so they can be thrown out to skirmish.

For grenadiers, I'd recommend going either 3x3 (for a 36 figure regiment) or one base with 4 (2x2), and one base with 2 grenadiers and an officer (1x1+1) for a seven figure company.

Light troops might be best as individuals with sabot bases, since they will skirmish a lot. Grenzers are iffy, because sometimes they were allowed to skirmish, and sometimes they were treated like ordinary line troops.
With Gen'l Custer Down in Mexico: Yes, one of the goals is to see how many times one can get him killed.