The feel of the thing

Conflict between the Swedes and their various neighbours between 1670s and 1721. Including topics on Danes, Saxons, Saxon-Polish, Russians and anyone else the boys in blue were mixing it with!
Captain of Dragoons
Major General
Major General

The feel of the thing

Post by Captain of Dragoons » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:27 am

Question for all the GNW players out there.

The Swedes in the GNW retained the pike and used shock/Ga Pa tactics for their infantry. How does a game feel; Is it as per its counterpart the WSS or more like LoA/9YW/GA period because of the pike? Does the cavalry more or less operate the same way, etc?

cheers
Edward
Captain of Dragoons
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Re: The feel of the thing

Post by obriendavid » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:04 pm

Captain of Dragoons wrote: The Swedes in the GNW retained the pike and used shock/Ga Pa tactics for their infantry. How does a game feel; Is it as per its counterpart the WSS or more like LoA/9YW/GA period because of the pike? Does the cavalry more or less operate the same way, etc? Edward
Having been on the receiving end of a Swedish attack it feels nothing like the other periods due to the better command and control, faster movement and all the plusses in combat and very good quality troops.
The Swedes hardly bother shooting and just get stuck in with cold steel plus your units don't have to be shaken before they can charge you.
Having said all that I would still go with the Russians, any idiot, even Barry can win with the Swedes :lol:
Cheers
Dave
Robartes
Private
Private

Re: The feel of the thing

Post by Robartes » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:28 pm

Captain of Dragoons wrote:Question for all the GNW players out there.

The Swedes in the GNW retained the pike and used shock/Ga Pa tactics for their infantry. How does a game feel; Is it as per its counterpart the WSS or more like LoA/9YW/GA period because of the pike? Does the cavalry more or less operate the same way, etc?

cheers
Edward
Apart from the atypical aggression you mention (which only works if you play to it) there is the better command and control they seem to have in most rulesets. Quite apart from whether this is justified or not (I'd say yes, for the high profile armies), it results in a game where you focus on maneuvring units instead of lines of units. This is as much a disadvantage as it is an advantage of course - I have had many games where the maneuvrability of the Swedes led me to attack in a disjointed, piece-meal (sp?) way, which is as good a way as any to lose with them :)

Then there is the fact that you are always (usually heavily) outnumbered, which also results in a totally different experience as a Swedish player vs a Russian player, for example.

So I'd say the game feels quite different if you're playing with God's own army in God's own period :D
----
Tiny Tin Men blog
http://www.nirya.be/snv/ttm