Rifles of Various Hues

All matters to do with gaming, painting and uniform information
Liam A of E
Sergeant
Sergeant

Rifles of Various Hues

Post by Liam A of E » Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:09 am

Hello there, first post on this excellent forum.

Not sure if this should be here or in a painting forum, but has anyone suggestions for a rifle green?

Am using Foundry Bottle Green at the moment and its okay, but........

Have only just (a few months ago) given in to my Napoleonic demon, having spent years with WAB. Am in the Abyss and loving it! Just finished my first British Brigade in 28s (based for GdB), and with some amazing recruits from the incredibly talented Mr. Hill of EK, (he really is an incredible brushman, and a top bloke )will soon have enough French/Brits for a couple of brigades a side. Will need a bigger table!
Vex me Not, or I will have you dragged awhile....
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:56 am

Welcome Liam :D

My suggestion is this: Use a Vallejo(or similar) dark green as a base. Put it on flat. Wash this is a thin mix of darkgreen & black/water. Let it dry this will give you the depth. When dry go back to your original dark green and add just the tiniest bit of white. Highlight with this. It will not look dramatic in terms of contrast but it will look very fine, lots of depth, very opaque and suitably 'Rifl-ish!'

Recent experiements with such a minimalist approach have been very successful for me with:

Prussian Infantry(same technique with blue)
French Artillery(ditto)

All in 28mm

Also check out the Wurttemberg Jager in the 15mm gallery.. they are done the same way.

Hope this helps
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Liam A of E
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Liam A of E » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:30 pm

Thanks v. much! - Ive got some Vallejo greens at home, so I will give that a go. I use washes for other tones, esp. metals, so hopefully this will nail it - cheers again!
Vex me Not, or I will have you dragged awhile....