Austrian Battalion Guns-1792

All matters to do with gaming, painting and uniform information
19th Century Trooper
Private First Class
Private First Class

Austrian Battalion Guns-1792

Post by 19th Century Trooper » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:34 pm

Currently working on Austrians for the French Revolution period, using Eurekas 28mm.

Were their battalion guns crewed by regular artillery or soldiers from the battalion.

Thanks,
Terry
18th Century Guy
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by 18th Century Guy » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:26 pm

Terry,

From my little library on this subject (1 Osprey book!) it says that the regimental artillery was crewed by a Corporal and 29 Gemeine (privates) per battalion and a Corporal and ten men per Grenadier company. Hope that helps.

I'd like to compare your Eureka 28mm to my Elite Miniatures 28mm as I've got a ton of Elite's Revolutionary War figures.
Sheepman
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by Sheepman » Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:39 pm

18th Century Guy,19th Century Trooper,
I think you are right about the crew make up of battalion guns but here are a couple of pics from my French Rev armies of the guns with infantry.
Not the best photos but given time I'll post better ones of both armies French and Austrian 1794.
[/img]Image
The gunners were bought before the new stuff came out so would maybe only do for regular artillery, all figures are Trent Miniatures by the way.
Dave.
'I always wear me wellies'.
18th Century Guy
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by 18th Century Guy » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:37 pm

How do you like the Trent figures? Have you been able to compare them to Elite or Floundry (or any other manufacturer)?
Sheepman
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by Sheepman » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:12 pm

18th Century Guy, Trent figures are fine, full of character. They have been hard to come by in the past but seem to be easier to get now through Northstar figures. As with mixing I find it safest to have units of each manufacturer together and not to mix them within the units themselves, but it's all a matter of taste.
Foundry are great figures but are a little smaller than the rest, but even then if kept in their own units they should be fine. I tend to use Old Glory early French for my Revolutionary stuff, I know Andy well and the figures have 'movement' which suits my idea of the scruffiness of the period. Old Glory figures don't technically cover the Revolution but everything was very fast and loose then so what the hell!
Other figures I have are Elite Tarleton hatted infantry, French early Chasseurs and Austrian infantry which go with the above very nicely, ugly little buggers but we can't all be beautiful :lol:
I will get round to photographing them and let you have a look so you can compare the figures.
Cheers Dave.
'I always wear me wellies'.