Victrix Russians Cuirassiers as Austrian ?

All matters to do with gaming, painting and uniform information
dashing blade
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Victrix Russians Cuirassiers as Austrian ?

Post by dashing blade » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:16 am

I've noticed the Russian Cuirassiers from Victrix are quite close in uniform to Austrian Cuirassiers,are there any really obivious differences or would a paint job do it?
Any Help please :?:
(The historical evidence that God comes from Lancashire is slim, however he's definitely not from Yorkshire)
Greystreak
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Victrix Russians Cuirassiers as Austrian ?

Post by Greystreak » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:17 pm

Just my observations: 1) the Victrix Russians are from the early, pre-cuirass period (e.g., before 1812), whereas the Austrians actually wore their cuirasses throughout; 2) differences in helmet shapes, profile, crest shape and volume; 3) trumpeter lace - swallows nests and chevrons will need to be 'pruned' or scraped/filed off the Russian figure, as Austrian trumpeters were 'plainer'; and 4) horse furniture - absence of distinctive Austrian 'picket stakes', and the presence of rolled capes on Russian figures (stored 'forward' of the riders), which the Kaiserliks lacked. All to say, you'd need to be a bit 'brave', IHMO, at 28mm scale, to try it all by 'brush' only, or consider some 'conversion' work.
Bryce
dashing blade
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Victrix Russians Cuirassiers as Austrian ?

Post by dashing blade » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:15 pm

Thanks Greystreak, I'm not that brave!
I think i'll invest in Front Ranks Cav , they're about the right size.
Anyway, i'm not allowed any sharp things,so conversions are out. :(
(The historical evidence that God comes from Lancashire is slim, however he's definitely not from Yorkshire)