Columns

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
J Anderson
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Columns

Post by J Anderson » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:58 am

Hi

Haven`t posted here for ages but need help on the subject of infantry and cavalry columns for the period 1680- 1695. Where they used purely for moving on the battlefield or could they be used actually for attack. The only occasion that I`m aware of is the Dutch guards crossing the Boyne. Was this because of the restricted nature of the terrain rather than an a deliberate attack formation.

Jim
CoffinDodger
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by CoffinDodger » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:38 pm

Hi Jim,

From what limited reading I have done on the period so far, column of attack was not a viable or recognised formation although, having said that, someone will no doubt point out the exceptions that prove the rule.

Columns were used mainly for getting from one part of the battlefied to another in a hurry or for negotiating defiles. Once in proximity to the enemy, lines were formed and movement was thereafter nearly always confined to line. BtLB reflects this in its rules quite admirably with the difficulties of wheeling and changing formation in an era where even marching in step was in its infancy in most armies.

The Dutch Foot Guards certainly crossed the Boyne in a column ten men wide but then tried to deploy into a normal line on gaining the far bank.

The usual infantry weapon being a musket, anything other than a line did not bring the amount of firepower or weight of lead to bear that was necessary to cause a decision.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Another (older) Jim
“I can assure you, Gentlefolk, they look better from a distance."
Jim O'Neill.
J Anderson
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by J Anderson » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:23 pm

cheers.