The allure of the Malboruian period

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
Phil69
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

The allure of the Malboruian period

Post by Phil69 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:12 pm

Gents

Am greatly tempted by the 28mm from Front rank and the Richard Holmes book has fired my interest in the period but before investing alot of time and money in a new period would like to know what it has to offer say over Naploenics which i currently game.

Cheers

Phil
Churchill
General
General

Marlborough and the WSS

Post by Churchill » Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:09 pm

Hi Phil,

Welcome to the LoA forum, you will find alot of information which will help you and your interest in the Marlburian period.Might I ask if you plan on using Barry Hilton's popular set of rules "Beneath the Lily Banners" as you can't go wrong with the rules giving you a very good flavour for the period.
Might I also suggest looking through my "Blenheim OOB" thread as this should fill your appetite for the Marlburain period and Front Rank miniatures.

Hope this helps............Ray.

flick40
Major General
Major General

Post by flick40 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:03 am

would like to know what it has to offer say over Naploenics
What does any period have over the others? Your level of interest. For me;

Battles 'can' be smaller than Naps broad sweeping engagements. Leaning towards the use of 28s

Units are named after their colonel versus a number. aka personality.

It's the beginning of military doctrine and standing armies. The event cards in BLB really bring out the bafoonery in these early years.

And lastly for me I purely love this period in time.

Joe
Brett1815

Re: The allure of the Malboruian period

Post by Brett1815 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:15 pm

Phil69 wrote:Gents

Am greatly tempted by the 28mm from Front rank and the Richard Holmes book has fired my interest in the period but before investing alot of time and money in a new period would like to know what it has to offer say over Naploenics which i currently game.

Cheers

Phil
Which Richard Holmes book Phil?
Captain of Dragoons
Major General
Major General

Post by Captain of Dragoons » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:14 pm

Hello Brett

I think Phil is making reference to Richard's Holmes 'Marlborough: England's Fragile Genius'.

cheers
Edward
Captain of Dragoons
18th Century Guy
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by 18th Century Guy » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:42 pm

This period can be even more colorful than the Napoleonic. Especially if you love lots of flags. There are more nations available with lots of color and, oh boy, they are beautiful. Much nicer than the plain national flags found in the Napoleonic period.
Captain of Dragoons
Major General
Major General

Post by Captain of Dragoons » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:06 am

Hello Phil, not sure if your British (I'm a Canuck myself) but interesting para from 'The Wars of Marlbrough' below.
No British regiment inscribes the name Schellenberg upon its banners. What principle, if any, governs the distribution of battles honours in this country, it passes the wit of man to discover, when a victory so gallantly purchased and so valuable in its results is offically ignored.

If Blenheim had nver been fought, the Schellenberg would have been famous, as famous at least Oudenarde.....

......Captain C.B. Norman, in his admirable book, Battle Honours of the British Army presents the following table, "as showing the scanty recognition accorded to the regiments which fought under Marlborough, the generous recognition of those which fought under Wellington."

Marlborough's Battles for which no battle honours have been granted
Schellenberg....Ofiicers K. 32, W. 85 Men K. 638 W. 1419
Liege...............Officers K. 11, W. 20 Men K. 142 W. 365
Menin..............Officers K. 34, W. 80 Men K. 551 W. 1994
Lille.................Officers K. 17, W. 43 Men K. 447 W. 1093
Douai..............Officers K. 13, W. 61 Men K. 638 W. 1093

Wellington's battle for which battle honours have been granted
Sahagun...........Officers K. 0, W. 0 Men K. 2 W. 18
The Douro.........Officers K. 0, W. 10 Men K. 23 W. 86
Almaraz............Officers K. 2, W. 12 Men K. 32 W.101
Arroyos dos Molinos...Officers K. 0 W. 7 Men K. 7 W. 51
Tarifa...............Officers K. 2, W. 3 Men K. 2 W. 24
Now every death in war is a sad thing. When it comes to the the period in my mind it surpases the Napoleonic period in drama.

From 'Prince Eugen of Savoy'
As Sir Winston Churchill said "It was an epoch of divided loyalties, of criss-cross ties, of secret reseves and much dissembling". It was also an era when war, though frequent and gory, was nevertheless limited-Kings and their contingents fought each other, not whole nations.

cheers
Edward
Captain of Dragoons
SteveRCR
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by SteveRCR » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:59 am

Thats some nice info on battle honours, I use to have some great heated debates with a fellow NCO of the The Grey and Simcoe Foresters on the subject, when i was posted to Toronto.
Captain of Dragoons
Major General
Major General

Post by Captain of Dragoons » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:27 am

That's right Steve

In our case it is the same with the War of 1812, why militia units are not allow to take precedence and Battle Honours from this conflict is beyond me. That's DND, to many civies running the Forces.

cheers
Edward
Captain of Dragoons
SteveRCR
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by SteveRCR » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:00 am

Good point Edward

I'm currently serving as the SD&G Highrs Ops O, who trace there lineage to the Glengary Fencibles of 1812 fame. One point i brought up to my Simcoe friend was the changes to the requirements post WW1 which eliminated the practice of granting Honours to Regiments that had several members serve in other units that were granted Honours.

As recently as 2006 when I was in Afghanistan, when Op Medusa was completed the talk of battle honours came up again. I know the Airforce recently received there version for the Kosovo Air Campaign so theres hope for us yet.
Phil69
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Phil69 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:03 pm

Thanks Guys for your feed back and have been tempted into buying a copy of BTLB.

My other projects will still need to be completed but in my mind' eye am seeing a Marlbourian project unfolding and will no doubt be back for advice.

cheers

Phil
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:34 pm

Phil,

Royal Mail have your rules!
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Phil69
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Phil69 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:36 pm

Gents

You've assisted in encouraging me to have another period and just need to decide on 15 or 28.

What size of force do I need for BLB and will be looking to build Brits and Fre and any assistance on suggested army lists for a reasonable size game.

Cheers

Phil
Churchill
General
General

The allure of the Malburian period.

Post by Churchill » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:25 pm

Hi Phil,

15mm or 28mm the choice is yours??? My own choice was 28mm Front Rank miniatures mainly because of the clean cast and detailed figures.
Obviously if your thinking about cost then 15mm maybe your best option, but as far as manufacturers go I can't help you there.
Army size, again thats your choice, but if as you say your thinking of building both a British and French force then start with a brigade of infantry each (e.g. 5 regiments of 18 figures) and a brigade of cavalry each (e.g. 5 squadrons of 6 figures) and a single field artillery piece.
Can't you find a fellow wargamer who could be interested in the period and get him to do one force while you do the other???
With this size force you should get a game finished within a couple of hours.

Hope this helps.........Ray.