Malplaquet, 1709/2009

A Forum location for posts by members of the League and any other Visitors or Forum members who wish to post items and questions about our games and activities.
Churchill
General
General

Battle of Malplaquet 1709/2009

Post by Churchill » Wed May 06, 2009 2:16 pm

Hello Dave,

I fully understand about having to limit the number of players for this.
I hope someone takes a camera though and we all get to see the photo's in the gallery and a battle report would be nice.

Many Thanks............Ray.

Angus Konstam
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Angus Konstam » Sat May 16, 2009 10:33 am

Gentlemen,

The Malplaquet game is fast approaching, and I hope you're all scrambling to paint more units - particularly your own command figures!

Just to recap, the current line-up looks like this;

The French
Charles, Dale, Dave O'B, Barry, Kevin, Colin and Chris (guest).

The Allies
Adrian, Peter, Andrew, Angus, Bob, Dave Matt., Dave I., Roger and Bill (guest).

We still have a handful of unallocated commands, which are reserved for the "gentlemen" who haven't committed themselves yet. You know who you are... please book a place or risk being placed on the reserve bench! Unfortunately our two special guests (Marlburian historian Chris Scott and Marlburian novelist Iain Gale) can't make it.

Dave O'B. is also the "engineer" in charge of the French field fortifications. He's been tracking down who has what, and no doubt will be posting an update shortly.

More Malplakkers updates shortly.
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Sat May 16, 2009 10:49 am

As Angus has said I am trying to organise the table layout and defences and as requested at the last game if any of you chaps have defences that you can bring along can you please give me measurements in inches of what you have. I have had replies from Colin and Bob so far but we might need about thirty feet of defences.

Cheers
Dave
Angus Konstam
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Angus Konstam » Sat May 16, 2009 10:53 am

Dave,

Please give me measurements in inches of what you have

You might want to rephrase that... :oops:
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Sat May 16, 2009 11:10 am

Perhaps i'm just taking measurements for Adrians 'Scots Gays' :lol:

But while you're at it can you also supply measurements for any field fortifications you might have.

Cheers
Dave
General Schnapps
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by General Schnapps » Sat May 16, 2009 12:04 pm

Dave not being one to boast I'll just give you my field defence measurements :wink:
Gabions 10 inches
Revetments 32 inches
Redoubt 18 inches

Kev
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sat May 16, 2009 1:55 pm

Typical German show off!!!

I will have to look out my stuff and measure it too 8)
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Sun May 17, 2009 11:35 am

Barry, while you are at it could you please have a look at my rule queries in the BLB section. I also want to have a chat next weekend about some rules for Malplaquet.

Cheers
Dave
Angus Konstam
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Angus Konstam » Wed May 27, 2009 8:35 am

Gentlemen,

For the sake of sanity we've really got to close the call for players, as with 15 gamers we've got all the commanders we can cope with. Bill Gilchrist can no longer make it, but at least his lead can, and we plan to re-distribute the forces accordingly.

Charles and I plan to compose the final OOB during the week beginning 8th June. That means, chaps, if you're still wielding paintbrushes, we’d like to hear about it by then! If you haven’t already done so, it would also help if you could let us know any specifics about size, nationality or unit name. Thanks! Sorry to be a bit of a pain, but the OOBs are a bit of a nightmare!

Pip Pip,

Angus
thinredline
Colonel
Colonel

Post by thinredline » Fri May 29, 2009 3:30 pm

I seem to recall from March that we are going to be using the same size/shape table layout as for March's Disposable Heroes - albeit with loadsa trees. (Trees are General Schnapps to hide in) :wink:

Can Dave or Angus please confirm your requirements if different to the above, and types of tiles (roads etc). From recollection, there are no river or townscapes, or contours - but please correct me if I am wrong, and advise accordingly of your "wish list" :D

Bob
"There is no retreat from here, men," Campbell told them as he rode down the line, "you must die where you stand."
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Fri May 29, 2009 11:46 pm

Bob, I can't get the final layout done until Angus and Charles have sorted out the OOB. I need to know how many battalions were are going to have in the French front line defences so that I can scale the rest of the tables to suit. The table won't be like the WW2 game but a series of linked tables so that we can easily game around them. Once I get the layout sorted I'll let all the terrain guys know what is needed. There are a few small villages dotted about but nothing that should impact on the main fighting and the main gradiants will mostly be on the two cavalry tables.

Cheers
Dave
thinredline
Colonel
Colonel

Post by thinredline » Sat May 30, 2009 12:39 am

Cheers Dave, :D

Whatever I have is available regardless, and I am sure we will cope, table and boards should not present any difficulty, tiles depend on roads and overall size, but am sure we can cover it :!:

Looking forward to the "debacle" and chasing "General Schnapps" from woods to revetment, an all the way back to ----- "Paree" :!: :!: :!: ehh

Gott mien uns, Schnapps is a "FRENCHMAN" :shock: :shock: :shock:

Is "Schnapps" now a turncoat as well as a ditch crawler and bushwhacker extraordinaire :idea:

Bob
"There is no retreat from here, men," Campbell told them as he rode down the line, "you must die where you stand."
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sat May 30, 2009 10:03 am

Mon Dieu... Robert L'Audre, Le Comte d'Motherwell is really tweaking the noses of the German upstart baron with this kind of patois :lol:

Celery sticks at dawn in Le Jardin D'Miggins, Oui?

Dave, will do the measuring this weekend after I awake from my coma
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
sharnydubs
Colonel
Colonel

Post by sharnydubs » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:09 am

My Toyota Landcruiser has died so my ability to transport large quantities of tiles is reduced. Let me know whenever you can what I need to bring as I may need to do so in a couple of journeys.

Looking forward to the game.
Peter

"The only winner in the War of 1812 was Tchaikovsky"
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:58 pm

Peter, I got the final troop list from Angus on Saturday and had intended trying to produce a layout yesterday but friends arrived and we spent the whole day outside and six bottles of champagne later plus liqueurs I thought I would wait for a better opportunity to come up with some plan. I've been feeling a bit delicate today (can't think why) :roll: so I will try soon to work something out.

Cheers
Dave