THE 'JUNE' ONE

A Forum location for posts by members of the League and any other Visitors or Forum members who wish to post items and questions about our games and activities.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

THE 'JUNE' ONE

Post by barr7430 » Sun May 09, 2010 3:29 pm

Dear Gentlemen,

I know that this is the child of Adrian and Kevin but our man in Grimsby has asked that I produce some sort of 'force orbat list' to help with organization of forces. In other words... a dreaded 'Army List' :shock:

I will do this in due course and post it up in the WARCHEST as a pdf download but in the interim Herr Howe has also asked that I ask you to confirm attendance by return to this post on the Forum

Our understanding was that the following players would attend and play the following forces:

Colin Jack - The Austrians
Peter Nicholson - The Russians
Dave O'Brien - The Russians
Angus Konstam- The Russians
Adrian Howe- The Prussians
Kevin Calder- The Prussians
Peter McCarroll - The Brunswick Freikorps
Charles Grant - The French
Dale Smith - The French
Andrew Nicholson- The French
Bob Lauder - The French
Barry Hilton - The French
David Imrie - The French

This makes it slightly imbalanced but probably means a 'double up' from two Allied players against one French player which is do-able.

The initial battles will be of divisional size with a mandatory component to each force (probably 8-10 battalions of infantry + an artillery battery) and a free choice component of additional troops.. either infantry, cavalry or l artillery.
I will do this simple guide shortly.
Peter N, Angus, Kev, Ade, Barry, Dale, Charles, Peter Mc will probably be able to furnish themselves with their entire contingents.
Dave O'B and DI will be able to provide some of their own commands but possibly not all. Additional French from either Barry, The twa'Peters or Dale. Additional Russians from Peter N maybe?

Austrians for Colin will come from Dale/Peter N

Very much looking forward to this one... might even seem like a tournament :shock: :shock: :shock: Did I really say that??
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
wyrdbrother
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by wyrdbrother » Sun May 09, 2010 4:25 pm

I'll be there and as you would expect will be able to bring..........my dice and tape measure. Looking forward to it though.
Cheers
Andrew
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sun May 09, 2010 4:36 pm

You are a definite French Cavalry General Andrew! :wink:

Henry Ford
sharnydubs
Colonel
Colonel

Post by sharnydubs » Mon May 10, 2010 10:40 am

Looking forward to it. The Russians, Austrians and whatever Frenchies you need will be ready. Changed days from a few years back when it was only really me and Dale who had Napoleonics. Nowadays we could almost fight on a 1:1 scale !
Peter

"The only winner in the War of 1812 was Tchaikovsky"
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Mon May 10, 2010 11:06 am

It's all YOUR fault then Peter :twisted:

Henry Ford
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Mon May 10, 2010 12:45 pm

I'll definitely be there with what Russians I have managed to paint plus I'll bring along my French Guard battalions should the be needed.

I'm happy to keep out of the first few games to act as an umpire for rules queries since most of the guys haven't actually played the rules yet.

Cheers
Dave
Blucher
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Blucher » Mon May 10, 2010 3:36 pm

Chaps

I'm currently working out 'table layouts'. The idea is to have 5/6 tables set out (8x6, 6x10 etc) each with different 'terrain' (one may be river/bridges, one is town/village, one open terrain, one hilly/wooded etc)

The idea is to 'round robin' around the tables (everyone to at least get to fight on 3 different tables each) throughout the weekend.

Day 1 will be 'head to head' encounters.
Day 2 will be 'dual/treble headers' on a couple of bigger tables.

This should give us all experience of the rules ready for Novembers 'big game'.

My vision is like Dave has suggested, to have a couple of Umpires 'floating around' throughout the first day to help with rule aclimatizing. As we are all having commands then the idea is for each of us to 'take a turn umpiring/getting used to rules' so approx 10 of us will be playing at any one time.

Like Barry has mentioned, we are all starting with small forces but you have an opportunity to gain victory points to 'recruit more troops' (or not as the case may be) and also 'rise through the ranks' or 'suffer an ignominious demotion'!!!

The idea is that your weekend performance will work towards how you will be 'equiped' outside of Paris in November!!!

If I could ask you Gents to post details to the game organisers of your figures, then it will help with our planning. Bear in mind this first weekend does not require our usual content of lead. I defer the final troop orbats to Barry but I would think you will each have a 'squad' to choose from of 8-12 battalions/regiments of Infantry, 4-12 squadrons of Cavalry and max of 2 batteries of guns. If you really do well over the weekend you may have your entire 'squad' on the table by the end of the weekend....if you are not succesful you have very little to command by Sunday lunchtime!!!

We will also be taking into account 'troop quality'. So before Dale decides to have his 'entire squad' made up of The Guard, based on 'points value' he may not get very many 'figures for his money'

Expect further updates from Kev, Barry and myself over the next few weeks.
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Mon May 10, 2010 5:31 pm

How are you going to make up the units considering that most battalions of all sides were down to 200-300 men? What most people actually have as battalions are strong enough to act as regiments or in some cases brigades.

It's good to have you back with us Adrian.

Cheers
Dave
thinredline
Colonel
Colonel

Post by thinredline » Mon May 10, 2010 5:48 pm

Give me a command,
give me objectives, or orders,
and I will carry them out whatever the cost :shock:
My only proviso is
"Ou est Monsieur Schnapps",
- I have a bullet for him :lol: :lol:

Bob
"There is no retreat from here, men," Campbell told them as he rode down the line, "you must die where you stand."
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Mon May 10, 2010 6:29 pm

thinredline wrote:Give me a command,
give me objectives, or orders,
and I will carry them out whatever the cost :shock:
My only proviso is
"Ou est Monsieur Schnapps",
- I have a bullet for him :lol: :lol:

Bob
I would have thought a sabre was more in keeping with Kellerman a bullet is the cowardly sort of response you would expect from those sneeky Prussian Jaegers. :lol:
Cheers
Dave
(General Buggeration)
thinredline
Colonel
Colonel

Post by thinredline » Mon May 10, 2010 8:04 pm

Mais Oui,

but as long as he gets "the point", what difference does it make,
pistols or swords at dawn, perhaps you may wish to be his "second" :wink:

Regards Bob

Please note Adrian, the verbal parrying with epis, sabres and sharp tongues has now commenced :!:
"There is no retreat from here, men," Campbell told them as he rode down the line, "you must die where you stand."
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Mon May 10, 2010 9:25 pm

You causing trouble again DOB :lol: . I would suggest understrength French units be fielded at regimental size.... the combined battalions rule if orbats are available but actually it probably doesn't matter because it's a hypothetical scenario structure.. full size battalions could be used.

Henry Ford
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Mon May 10, 2010 10:09 pm

barr7430 wrote:You causing trouble again DOB :lol: ..
Moi???
Heaven forbid 8)

As you say, these will be ficticious actions so using full sized units are OK with me provided all my Russian battalions are at least 36 figures strong. :)

Cheers
Dave
sharnydubs
Colonel
Colonel

Post by sharnydubs » Tue May 11, 2010 1:27 pm

And povided the Russian Opolechnie are at least 48 figures strong. Well they did use pikes after all .
Peter

"The only winner in the War of 1812 was Tchaikovsky"
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Tue May 11, 2010 5:45 pm

Did they take part in the later campaigns?
I always thought that they only fought in the 1812 campaign but if they fought right through the wars then this greatly improves their aappeal for me.

Cheers
Dave