THE 'JUNE' ONE

A Forum location for posts by members of the League and any other Visitors or Forum members who wish to post items and questions about our games and activities.
Dale
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Dale » Sun May 16, 2010 7:27 pm

Blucher, you Prussian scoundrel. Did you think I couldn't work a computer or somethin'. Yes, thanks, the message was recieved through Barry. Thanks also to Barry for his very concise lists. That's the way I like 'em. Although I have noticed that there are no tanks in any of the French lists.

Seriously, all communications are fine with no queries. All I have to do now is to read the rules. I've tried but I find it hard to stop slavering all over the pages of Napoleonic totty.

Barry, you've still not recovered from the Dresden experience all those years ago. Some things to consider before writing off GdB. That game had the most players that we had had for one of those mega games. Some players were only available on one day or the other which meant additional briefings. Some folk who had copies of the rules had clearly not read them. I think that the majority of the figures were being supplied and organised by Peter and I. Add to that the fact that these were early days for The League of Gentlemen Wargamers, the organisation of the teas, meals and general liason with the hotel staff had fallen to me and the small matter of a military command as well as umpiring then you'll remember why things slowly ground down to walking pace.

Since then I've enjoyed loads of enjoyable games of GdB including some with LoGW members.

However now I want to enjoy your rules as I know we will. The early playtesting was good fun and Blucher and Schnapps have a great weekend organised for us. Once we all become familiar with the rules I think they will become the rules of choice for our home clubs too.

Now bring on those 'orrible invaders!
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sun May 16, 2010 9:36 pm

I hope everyone will realise that I am not too precious about the rules. I know that you are a GdB fan Dale and that Angus just likes a poke at me whenever he gets a chance but I am not on a crusade for world domination or to get the gang to say

.. ooh Barry, what a fantastically clever chap you are, YOU'RE rules are the bestest :roll:

R2E has however been honed around the situations we in the LoGW have encountered in game after game, on the suggestions of more than a few of us, on mechanisms that work in large scale scenarios and on the principles of gentlemanly and sportsmanlike gaming. For those reasons alone I hope the gang can associate and empathise with the way they are written and how they play. I don't think that DO'B can any longer be considered an impartial observer on R2E but he IS able to comment on their playability relative to other rule sets.

The quote that has impressed me more than any other about the rules is that 'They don't give you a headache or that flat feeling' after a game (INCIDENTALLY this is not a quote from Dave or me!). That alone is enough to make the effort justifiable for me at least.

Any questions on mechanics ask DO'B he knows better than me :oops:

Behind closed doors and locked shutters I can exert no influence over those heretics who wish to indulge in the perverted dark arts offered by Black Powder or GdB. that is a matter for you and your conscience ..... :lol:

Anyway enough of the religious patter, I need to get back to reading SHAKO....
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Mon May 17, 2010 7:41 am

OK... Andrew, Bob and Dale have all received the mail.
Charles as yet no resposnse from my forward but he is always pretty busy and doesn't always get to his mails quickly.

Henry Ford
Blucher
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Blucher » Wed May 19, 2010 8:48 am

FRENCH COMMANDERS

Would Barry, Bob, Dave Imrie, Dale and Charles please select commands and let Kev or I know your choice.

Andy Nicholson has already chosen The Old Guard division. This leaves the Middle, Young and 3 Infantry Division to choose from.

It won't really matter how you eventually choose as the game organisers have 'added' some extra upgrades exclusively to The Allied Divisions.

These have been based on 'national developments'.... The Russians can now choose a 'battery of Stalin Organs', the Prussians a 'troop of Panzer 4's' and The Austrians can field 'The Vienna Boys Choir' (mainly because Colin will already have the figures in his collection somewhere!)

Good luck Mon Braves

Blucher
thinredline
Colonel
Colonel

Post by thinredline » Wed May 19, 2010 9:16 am

I'll opt for the Middle Gaurd with the Artillery Upgrade option, if still available. :shock:

Bob
"There is no retreat from here, men," Campbell told them as he rode down the line, "you must die where you stand."
Blucher
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Blucher » Wed May 19, 2010 10:00 am

Bob (or should I say General Christiani)

The Middle Guard is yours. Just for clarification everyone is starting with their 'basic division'. The upgrades/options come into effect as the weekend progresses based on 'victories'.

If you have not got any French Naps, then we can source from other Gents.
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Wed May 19, 2010 10:53 am

You've already got my preference.

General Buggeration.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Wed May 19, 2010 12:22 pm

I'LL TAKE AN ORDINARY IiNFANTRY DIVISION... DETAILS OF OPTION S LATER

CHEERS

Henry Ford
General Schnapps
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by General Schnapps » Wed May 19, 2010 7:25 pm

Gentlemen,
I have sent you all an e-mail to clarify a few things regarding troop choices etc, hope it helps.
Dale and Andrew your e-mails have bounced back, if you could let me know your current addresses I will update and resend.
Kev
thinredline
Colonel
Colonel

Post by thinredline » Wed May 19, 2010 9:53 pm

Schnapps old chap - there you are, just as well for you that one is now an umpire :cry: :cry:
Never mind, at least we will have an "amiable" meeting of minds over a pint or two. :D :D
Your most frustrated former adversary and friend :wink: :wink:
Kellerman
"There is no retreat from here, men," Campbell told them as he rode down the line, "you must die where you stand."
General Schnapps
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by General Schnapps » Thu May 20, 2010 5:52 pm

Bob,
We inpartial umpires are playing as well :twisted:
Schnapps
thinredline
Colonel
Colonel

Post by thinredline » Thu May 20, 2010 9:59 pm

Kevin mon cher ami,
I have never had any doubts as to your impartiality as an umpire, or indeed when asking for advice as to any situation generated as a matter of rule interpretation as an opponent. Your integrity and un biased decisions are beyond question. :)
AND, if I every find myself (sorry Kellerman) getting shot to pieces by some ditch crawling Prussian swine - so be it - "C'est la Guerre"
It also goes without saying,
that I hold you in the utmost respect personally, but keep a weather eye open for some slimey Prussian upstart callled "Schnapps"
As to the apres "game", we can argue as to who is first up at the bar.

My best wishes and kind regards,
Kellerman - without his horses :!: :!:
"Guard, by the left, quick march" :!: :!:
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Fri May 21, 2010 9:46 am

General Schnapps wrote:Bob,
We inpartial umpires are playing as well :twisted:
Schnapps
That's what I like to see, two impartial umpries that are both on my side!
Would you like a drink chaps???? :lol:
I can already hear the French making up excuses,
Nous étions revêtus d'une robe :twisted:

Cheers
Dave
Blucher
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Blucher » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:36 pm

Gents

Check your emails for updates, queries, requirements for next weeks weekender........

France - 1814 campaign.

Blucher
thinredline
Colonel
Colonel

Post by thinredline » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:03 pm

Thank u Ade,

Dale will have to confirm mdf boards, but am sure we are ok here. !
If Peter and Colin can confirm, we have tiles in surplus to meet ur requirements. David Imrie, Barrie and Kevin would not be required.
What will be required is all roads, streams and hedges to mark out same on tiles.
Bob